Fresh off picking up movie rights to talking horse Mr. Ed, family-based production company Waterman Entertainment announced today that the cartoon cat is joining its stable. Waterman says Heathcliff will return to the big screen as a CGI/live-action film and to the small screen as a 13-episode animated series. The company also said it has worldwide licensing and merchandising rights. Waterman secured the rights to the character from the comic strip’s writer and artist Peter Gallagher, nephew of Heathcliff creator George Gately. “We want our existing fans to identify with the characters they know while introducing him to an entirely new audience. As a creator I know that they will be attentive to our lasting vision for the brand and welcome our input, which is very important to me,” Gallagher said. Waterman co-founder Steve Waterman was an executive producer on Alvin And The Chipmunks and its sequels, Casper, and the Stuart Little films.
Waterman Entertainment Snags ‘Heathcliff’ Film Rights
What's Hot on Deadline
Robert Redford Sanguine About Donald Trump But "Depressed" About Partisan Politics At Sundance Opening Presser
'Split' Soars To Mid-$30M After Solid $2M Start; 'xXx,' $1.2M, 'Founder,' $105K In Previews As 'Hidden Figures' Stays Strong - Friday - UPDATE
Hollywood Reacts To Trump Inauguration: "Country Is Lost", Tweets Alec Baldwin; Scott Baio Proud To Be "Deplorable"
Obama Can't Stop Speechifying As President Trump Signs First Bill, Forcing TV Networks To Make Choices
Latest Film News
- ‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Producer & Author After Seeing Full Tape: Dog Was Not In Danger
- Common Joins Sundance Pic ‘Burning Sands’ As EP, Will Contribute Original Song
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: The Lull Before The Oscar Storm; Katzenberg Gets Nostalgic; Gosling Wows SAG Again…
- He’s Back! James Cameron To Godfather ‘Terminator’ With ‘Deadpool’ Helmer Tim Miller
- Ted Sarandos On Netflix In The Age Of Donald Trump & What’s Next – Sundance Studio
- ‘Band Aid’ Sundance Clip: Zoe Lister-Jones & Adam Pally Turn A Couple’s Grief Into Song