EXCLUSIVE: Suddenly, The Descendants breakout Shailene Woodley has become the hot young actress in town. She’s in talks to play the Mary Jane role in The Amazing Spider-Man sequel, and now I hear she is negotiating to play the female lead in Divergent, the Veronica Roth novel that will be directed by Neil Burger for Summit Entertainment. Produced by Red Wagon partners Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher and adapted by Snow White And The Huntsman‘s Evan Daugherty, the book is compared to The Hunger Games because of the age of the characters and the violence that takes place in a futuristic setting. This tale takes place in a futuristic dystopia where society is divided into factions based on human traits. A 16-year-old leaves her faction to join a rival one, but during the violent initiation she falls in love with a young man and they try to find their place in this rough world. Paradigm reps Woodley.
Shailene Woodley Near ‘Divergent’ Deal
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'