EXCLUSIVE: Suddenly, The Descendants breakout Shailene Woodley has become the hot young actress in town. She’s in talks to play the Mary Jane role in The Amazing Spider-Man sequel, and now I hear she is negotiating to play the female lead in Divergent, the Veronica Roth novel that will be directed by Neil Burger for Summit Entertainment. Produced by Red Wagon partners Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher and adapted by Snow White And The Huntsman‘s Evan Daugherty, the book is compared to The Hunger Games because of the age of the characters and the violence that takes place in a futuristic setting. This tale takes place in a futuristic dystopia where society is divided into factions based on human traits. A 16-year-old leaves her faction to join a rival one, but during the violent initiation she falls in love with a young man and they try to find their place in this rough world. Paradigm reps Woodley.
Shailene Woodley Near ‘Divergent’ Deal
What's Hot on Deadline
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest Film News
- Focus Features Makes Big Berlin Deal For Interracial Marriage Drama ‘Loving:’ Berlin
- Rob Cohen’s ‘Category 5’ Sees Storm Of Sales Action For Foresight – Berlin
- Paul Rudd, Steve Coogan To Share ‘An Ideal Home’ – Berlin
- Charlotte Rampling To Star With Josh Hartnett In ‘Valley of the Gods’ – Berlin
- ‘Kill Me, Deadly’ Trailer: ‘Criminal Minds’ Crew’s Noir Comedy Gets April 1 Release Date
- Film Movement Bringing France’s ‘My King’ To U.S.