Not only was last night a big night for President Barack Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney, it was a huge night for Twitter – and Big Bird. According to Twitter’s blog, a record 10 million tweets were posted, making the first of the 2012 presidential debates the most-tweeted about event ever in U.S. politics. Some moments that sparked lively discussion were moderator Jim Lehrer quipping “Let’s not” when Romney requested a topic, Obama, saying “I had 5 seconds” when Lehrer reminds him of the time limit and the discussion about Medicare and vouchers. But the big Twitter winner was Big Bird who generated more than a quarter million tweets after Romney’s statement that he wants to cut federal funding for PBS, home of the Muppet characters, despite his fondness for the tall yellow bird. A chart tracking the night’s Tweets is below.
Presidential Debate Most Tweeted-About Event In US Politics, Big Bird Big Star
What's Hot on Deadline
Jared Kushner Repeats "I Did Not Collude" Doctrine In Rare Public Speech After Meeting With Senate Intel Staff
Latest TV News
- Jimmy Fallon Unveils Former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer’s New Music Video
- ‘Santa Clarita Diet’: Zach Knighton Set For Major Season 2 Arc On Netflix Comedy
- Sabrina Wind Named TV President Of Jason Reed’s ABC Studios-Based Co.
- Fox News Trades Insults With New York Times Over Coverage Of Botched Plot To Kill ISIS Leader
- ‘Mars’ Season 2: Esai Morales, Roxy Sternberg, Five More Round Out Cast As Production Begins
- Writers’ Health Care Costs Going Up In January