Not only was last night a big night for President Barack Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney, it was a huge night for Twitter – and Big Bird. According to Twitter’s blog, a record 10 million tweets were posted, making the first of the 2012 presidential debates the most-tweeted about event ever in U.S. politics. Some moments that sparked lively discussion were moderator Jim Lehrer quipping “Let’s not” when Romney requested a topic, Obama, saying “I had 5 seconds” when Lehrer reminds him of the time limit and the discussion about Medicare and vouchers. But the big Twitter winner was Big Bird who generated more than a quarter million tweets after Romney’s statement that he wants to cut federal funding for PBS, home of the Muppet characters, despite his fondness for the tall yellow bird. A chart tracking the night’s Tweets is below.
Presidential Debate Most Tweeted-About Event In US Politics, Big Bird Big Star
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Team
- Candy Crowley Saluted By Colleagues, Competition, Late-Night Hosts And Robot - Video
- 'Kim Jong-un' Targets Christmas Shoppers On SNL's 'Weekend Update'
- Dr. Evil Disses Sony, Kim Jong-un, Many Others In Mike Myers' Surprise 'SNL' Return
- Republicans To Exhibitors: Play 'The Interview'
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Inmates Croon A Zany 'Twelve Days Of Christmas' – Watch
- North Korea Wants To Work With U.S. To Find Hacker; Obama Admin Asks China For Help – UPDATE