Not only was last night a big night for President Barack Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney, it was a huge night for Twitter – and Big Bird. According to Twitter’s blog, a record 10 million tweets were posted, making the first of the 2012 presidential debates the most-tweeted about event ever in U.S. politics. Some moments that sparked lively discussion were moderator Jim Lehrer quipping “Let’s not” when Romney requested a topic, Obama, saying “I had 5 seconds” when Lehrer reminds him of the time limit and the discussion about Medicare and vouchers. But the big Twitter winner was Big Bird who generated more than a quarter million tweets after Romney’s statement that he wants to cut federal funding for PBS, home of the Muppet characters, despite his fondness for the tall yellow bird. A chart tracking the night’s Tweets is below.
Presidential Debate Most Tweeted-About Event In US Politics, Big Bird Big Star
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake
- HBO Miniseries 'Olive Kitteridge' Sets November Premiere Dates
- No Hollywood Credits For Obama IP Czar Nominee