Not only was last night a big night for President Barack Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney, it was a huge night for Twitter – and Big Bird. According to Twitter’s blog, a record 10 million tweets were posted, making the first of the 2012 presidential debates the most-tweeted about event ever in U.S. politics. Some moments that sparked lively discussion were moderator Jim Lehrer quipping “Let’s not” when Romney requested a topic, Obama, saying “I had 5 seconds” when Lehrer reminds him of the time limit and the discussion about Medicare and vouchers. But the big Twitter winner was Big Bird who generated more than a quarter million tweets after Romney’s statement that he wants to cut federal funding for PBS, home of the Muppet characters, despite his fondness for the tall yellow bird. A chart tracking the night’s Tweets is below.
Presidential Debate Most Tweeted-About Event In US Politics, Big Bird Big Star
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Golden Globes Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water' & 'The Post' Tops In Film, 'Big Little Lies' Leads TV
Latest TV News
- Fareed Zakaria To Conan: Donald Trump Has Taken Over Media
- Jimmy Kimmel And Billy Blast Congress For Holding CHIP Hostage In Bid To Seal Billionaire Tax Cuts
- Stephen Colbert To Would-Be Times Square Bomber: “Seriously?”
- Netflix Inks Int’l Distribution Deal For NBC's 'Good Girls': Inside New Model That Partners the SVOD Giant With…
- Steve Edwards Out At ‘Good Day LA’ After 20-Plus Years
- CNN Suspends Ryan Lizza After New Yorker Cuts Ties Over “Improper Sexual Conduct”