The projection today from ad firm Magna Global is a little conservative compared to some other forecasts. For example, Wells Fargo Securities’ Marci Ryvicker projected yesterday that political campaigns and groups will spend $3B+ this year on spot TV (up from $2.1B in 2008) with an additional $550M going to local cable (up from $333M). Even so, the Magna Global numbers confirm that the election will turn 2012 into an extraordinary year for station owners. With the political dollars, local TV ad sales will be up 14% in 2012 — and without them, the total would have been up just 2%. “Despite the rise of digital media, local TV remains essential in political marketing because only a ‘lean-back’ medium can effectively reach the low-interest, undecided voters who, by definition, are less likely to seek information from ‘lean-forward’ digital media or engage with digital campaigns,” the firm says. But industry execs and investors had better enjoy the good times while they can. Next year ad sales for all of television will fall 1.4% to $63B after rising 9% this year, Magna Global forecasts.
Political Ads Will Boost Local TV Sales By A Record $2.7B This Year: Forecast
What's Hot on Deadline
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Latest Business News
- Timothee Chalamet Donates Salary From Woody Allen Film To Time’s Up, RAINN
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Undaunted By Syndication Slump, NATPE Boosts International, Reality, Local TV
- Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
- Nikki Glaser To Topline Live Daily Morning Show On SiriusXM’s Comedy Central Radio – TCA