The mission is admirable. But after seeing Current TV’s struggles, I wonder whether the socially conscious film and TV production company can attract many young YouTube viewers to a channel that focuses on weighty subjects including the elections, the environment, sexism and homelessness. That’s the goal Participant has set for itself beginning today as it launches TakePart TV, which will offer what the company says will be “clever, eye-opening and optimistic content around big issues that face our planet.” Participant Television President Evan Shapiro says the channel will “bridge the gap between heartfelt idealism and slap-stick humor by bringing provocative programming that will engage dialogue and, better yet, give viewers a way to take action on the issues that they care most about.” It will launch with the channel’s flagship show, BFD: Brain Food Daily. Initial videos will examine whether reality TV is racist; whether the government should legalize prostitution, drugs and gambling; and look at 10 foods that officials should ban. Other videos will feature politically active pundits and celebrities including Dan Savage, Henry Rollins, Alison Sudol and Kobe Bryant. Participant has backed films including Good Night And Good Luck, An Inconvenient Truth, and The Help.
Participant Media Creates YouTube Channel To Promote Social Activism
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Business News
- Santa Fe IATSE Boss Jon Hendry Resigns Amid Sex Harassment Scandal
- Michael Gershman Dies: The ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’, ‘Crossing Jordan’ Cinematographer Was 73
- Veteran Cirque Du Soleil Performer Dies After Fall During Tampa Show
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize
- The Roots Cancel SXSW Concert After Bomb Threat; Suspect Arrested – Update
- Ellen Barkin Says “Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam” After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement