The mission is admirable. But after seeing Current TV’s struggles, I wonder whether the socially conscious film and TV production company can attract many young YouTube viewers to a channel that focuses on weighty subjects including the elections, the environment, sexism and homelessness. That’s the goal Participant has set for itself beginning today as it launches TakePart TV, which will offer what the company says will be “clever, eye-opening and optimistic content around big issues that face our planet.” Participant Television President Evan Shapiro says the channel will “bridge the gap between heartfelt idealism and slap-stick humor by bringing provocative programming that will engage dialogue and, better yet, give viewers a way to take action on the issues that they care most about.” It will launch with the channel’s flagship show, BFD: Brain Food Daily. Initial videos will examine whether reality TV is racist; whether the government should legalize prostitution, drugs and gambling; and look at 10 foods that officials should ban. Other videos will feature politically active pundits and celebrities including Dan Savage, Henry Rollins, Alison Sudol and Kobe Bryant. Participant has backed films including Good Night And Good Luck, An Inconvenient Truth, and The Help.
Participant Media Creates YouTube Channel To Promote Social Activism
What's Hot on Deadline
Is Melissa McCarthy The Best R-Rated Comedienne Ever? She Makes Her Case In Red Band 'The Boss' Trailer
'The Brothers Grimsby': Trailer Or Titillating Clip "Shown" On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' – Which Works Better?
Latest Business News
- Bill Cosby Fights Again To Stop Sexual Assault Case Moving Forward
- Will Hollywood’s Flood Of Franchises Beat ‘Star Wars’-Fueled 2015 Toy Sales?
- Will Smith & Alan Horn Join Obama & Katzenberg For Private L.A. Dinner – Update
- Samantha Bee Vs. The Guys On Late Night, Plus: The Coming Tony Awards Wars? – Gerard & Roth
- Hot Berlin Titles: What Buyers Are Buzzing About At The EFM
- Obamageddon Is In Effect As POTUS Arrives In L.A. For ‘Ellen’ & Fundraisers – Update