EXCLUSIVE: I’ve confirmed that Paramount is continuing its Paranormal Activity franchise for a 5th installment that will advance the story produced by Jason Blum and Oren Pell timed to Halloween 2013. But what’s far more interesting news is that my insiders say the studio is plotting an as-yet-untitled spinoff tentatively set for Spring 2013 and aimed at PA‘s very sizeable Latino audience. I’ve learned that PA2 and PA3 and PA4 screenwriter Christopher Landon, who spec-scripted 2007’s big hit Disturbia and is the son of Hollywood legend Michael Landon, is helming. (Paramount Film Group President Adam Goodman shepherded Disturbia while he was president of production at DreamWorks. Pic was directed by D.J. Caruso.) The spinoff will include the demon from the PA franchise and star mostly Latino actors and film partly in Spanish. “This will be an off-shoot aimed at the groups who have been the biggest supporters of the property — Latinos and folks in Latin America — Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina,” a Paramount insider tells me. The studio placed a teaser clip at the end of PA4 for the spinoff which will begin shooting shortly. As for Paranormal Activity 5, the studio considers PA4‘s $30M opening-weekend gross an “an amazing result at this $5M budget level” even if though its North American take is well below PA2‘s and PA3‘s. Overall, the three previous Paranormal Activity installments have earned over $576 million worldwide on a combined budget of a little over $8M.
Greenlight For ‘Paranormal Activity 5’ Plus Latino Spinoff To Be Directed By ‘PA2-3-4’ Scripter Christopher Landon
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Flying To Decent $60.3M: But Why Is Opening Lower Than ‘Into Darkness’?
- Noureen DeWulf Books Three Film Roles; Hannah Rose May Joins ‘The Recall’
- Joss Whedon’s Sermon On The Con: “The Dialogue Between Audiences And Studios Is Defaulting”
- RealD's 3D Projection Patents Upheld By U.S. International Trade Org
- Life After ‘Orphan Black’? Tatiana Maslany & Creators Discuss – Comic-Con
- Mark Boal Decries Military “Fishing Expedition” In Bowe Bergdahl Case