EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros tells me that — technically speaking — Legendary Pictures “was never officially in” to co-finance Tom Cruise‘s futuristic world army-vs-alien fighters sci-fi film currently filming in London. But then why was Thomas Tull’s banner listed on WB’s October 1st announcement dating All You Need Is Kill for 2014? “Anticipated their involvement but was never firm,” WB tells me. So this is what I’ve learned: the movie’s UK production was just notified within the past 24 hours that Legendary “has pulled out” of Warner Bros’ All You Need Is Kill starring Cruise and Emily Blunt with Doug Liman directing. Actually, Legendary’s decision was made about 10 days ago – after Warner Bros begged Legendary to come in with Village Roadshow. “Legendary agreed to come on subject to terms. That meant subject to script, budget, and creative mandate,” confirms my insider. “But then Legendary decided it doesn’t fit within their creative mandate or fanboy demographic and they didn’t really have the appetite for this. So they didn’t come to terms with Warner Bros.” I’m assured that the Legendary-WB relationship is still very much intact, especially with Legendary having brought Pacific Rim and Godzilla to the studio while co-financing Man Of Steel with Warner Bros. Meanwhile, there are vehement denials of behind-the-scenes chatter that Liman is over budget or Cruise is running the show. All You Need Is Kill is dated for March 14, 2014.
Legendary Won’t Partner With Warner Bros On Tom Cruise’s ‘All You Need Is Kill’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards
- Richard Schickel Dies: Time Magazine Film Critic Was 84