EXCLUSIVE: Laemmle/Zeller Films has acquired the rights to Plimpton! Starring George Plimpton As Himself. The company plans to theatrically release the documentary of the writer and raconteur in the spring of 2013. Directors Tom Bean and Luke Poling use audio and video of the Paris Review editor to tell his life’s story. Plimpton, who acted onscreen with Anthony Hopkins, John Wayne and Matt Damon among others, was known for taking his self-styled “participatory journalism” on to the field. For various stories, he played for the Detroit Lions and the Boston Bruins as well as the New York Philharmonic. Plimpton died on September 25, 2003 at the age of 76. The documentary, which raised part of its funding off Kickstarter, has played at various festivals across the country this year. Ronna Wallace of Eastgate Pictures represented Bean and Poling in crafting the deal with the company. Greg Laemmle, President of Laemmle Theatres and Steven Zeller, President of movie marketing and PR company GS Entertainment Marketing Group head Laemmle/Zeller Films.
Laemmle/Zeller Picks Up ‘Plimpton!’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Deadline’s The Contenders At Capacity; Long Waiting List For Award Season Kickoff Event
- VidAngel Files For Chapter 11 After Losing Legal Fight With Hollywood Studios
- ‘I Love You, Daddy’ Trailer: Louis C.K. Dark Comedy About Worried Dad Whose Teen Daughter Dates 60-Something Director
- ‘Where’s The Money’ Red Band Trailer: King Bach’s Gentrified Frat Comedy Gets Crazy And R-rated
- ‘Only The Brave’: The Incredible Story Of Heroism And The Serendipity That Propelled The Film About The Granite Mountain…
- Channing Tatum Pulls ‘Forgive Me’ Film Project From The Weinstein Co.