Moviegoing from Washington DC to Connecticut will be slammed by Hurricane Sandy starting tonight and continuing Monday. Many theaters in the lucrative NYC market — 2nd biggest in North America after LA — already are dark until Tuesday after sending employees home early because of Frankenstorm. AMC stopped selling tickets after 3 PM, and Clearview Cinemas and City Cinemas and Angelika Film Center soon after. Regal theatres planned to keep open Sunday night but will close Monday. All Gotham public transportation shuts down as of 7 PM today and mandatory evacuations are proceeding. Box office nationally will suffer -12% to -25% on what already was a weak weekend.
Hurricane Sandy: Movie Theaters Closing
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
SAG Awards Analysis: 'Three Billboards' Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC's 'This Is Us' Shakes Things Up On TV Side
Jason Blum's Advice To Burgeoning Producers At Sundance: "Don’t Worry About Your Movie Getting A Theatrical Release"
White House Correspondent April Ryan Tells CNN News Organizations Have Police "On Speed Dial" For Death Threats
'Jumanji' At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; 'Maze Runner: Death Cure' Debuts - International Box Office
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Jumanji’ At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; ‘Maze Runner: Death Cure’ Debuts – International…
- 'Darkest Hour' Tops $41M, 'The Shape of Water' Crosses $30M, 'Call Me By Your Name' Expands – Specialty Box Office
- January Slows As ‘Jumanji’ Takes No. 1 For 3rd Weekend With $19M To $20M; Older Guy Pics ’12 Strong’ & ‘Den Of Thieves…
- ‘Paddington 2’ Sets Rotten Tomatoes Record As Best-Reviewed Movie Ever
- ‘The Greatest Showman’ Sings Past Oscar Favorites, Everywhere But Here
- ‘Valerian’ Helps Propel 2017 French Film Exports After Dismal 2016: Unifrance