Moviegoing from Washington DC to Connecticut will be slammed by Hurricane Sandy starting tonight and continuing Monday. Many theaters in the lucrative NYC market — 2nd biggest in North America after LA — already are dark until Tuesday after sending employees home early because of Frankenstorm. AMC stopped selling tickets after 3 PM, and Clearview Cinemas and City Cinemas and Angelika Film Center soon after. Regal theatres planned to keep open Sunday night but will close Monday. All Gotham public transportation shuts down as of 7 PM today and mandatory evacuations are proceeding. Box office nationally will suffer -12% to -25% on what already was a weak weekend.
Hurricane Sandy: Movie Theaters Closing
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway Review: Allison Janney, Corey Hawkins Lead ‘Six Degrees Of Separation’
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2’: $100M Offshore Bow In The Mix? – International Box Office Preview
- ‘A Chorus Line’ Original Baayork Lee Will Receive Special Tony Award
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops ‘Transformers’ In China – International Box…
- Broadway Review: ‘Anastasia’ Brings An Animated Russian Heroine To Stage Life
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Drives Over Five Newcomers With $38.4M; Second Frame Down 61% – Final B.O.