Moviegoing from Washington DC to Connecticut will be slammed by Hurricane Sandy starting tonight and continuing Monday. Many theaters in the lucrative NYC market — 2nd biggest in North America after LA — already are dark until Tuesday after sending employees home early because of Frankenstorm. AMC stopped selling tickets after 3 PM, and Clearview Cinemas and City Cinemas and Angelika Film Center soon after. Regal theatres planned to keep open Sunday night but will close Monday. All Gotham public transportation shuts down as of 7 PM today and mandatory evacuations are proceeding. Box office nationally will suffer -12% to -25% on what already was a weak weekend.
Hurricane Sandy: Movie Theaters Closing
What's Hot on Deadline
'Transformers: The Last Knight' Dawns With $85M Through Friday, $48M In China - International Box Office
Newcomer Katherine Langford On ‘13 Reasons Why’: "It Was The Best First Show I Could Have Ever Done"
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Transformers’ Around $65M In Five-Day Domestic Opening, Lowest In Series – Friday Night Update
- ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Dawns With $85M Through Friday, $48M In China – International Box Office
- Audience Member Shouts “Let’s Hear It For Women Producers!” As Broadway’s Tony-Winning ‘Indecent’ Extends…
- Sofia Coppola’s 'The Beguiled' Opens Against Sundance Hit 'The Big Sick' This Weekend – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘1984’ Broadway Review: Olivia Wilde, Tom Sturridge & Reed Birney Revive Orwell’s Grim Tale
- New York Indie Distributors Kino Lorber & Zeitgeist Films Enter Multi-Year Partnership