After its first two episodes of the new season drew softer-than-normal numbers, Downton Abbey bounced back on Sunday with ratings that would make even the Dowager Countess crack a smile. Episode three of season three pulled in 9.66M viewers for a 36.9% share in the 9pm hour on ITV1. That’s an extra 1.5M compared to last week and a little over 1M more than the season debut on Sept. 16. The episode is now the third most-watched of the series’ entire UK run, according to Digital Spy. The top episodes are season two’s final two shows. Downton also outdid The X Factor on Sunday. That show, which has been providing somewhat soft lead-ins so far this season, drew 9.46M viewers last night.
‘Downton Abbey’ Hits Season High: Scores 3rd Most Watched Episode Ever In UK
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Saturday: 'Guardians' No. 1 All-Star Lord; 'As Above/So Below' Best Of Newbies; 'Cantinflas' Still Strong
More From Tartaglione
- 'Doctor Who' Down 1.59M UK Viewers In Sophomore Outing
- Simon Cowell's Return To 'X Factor UK' Scores Best Launch Since 2011 With 9.5M Viewers
- FT Vet Rona Fairhead Expected To Be First Woman To Chair BBC Trust
- Hot TV Trailer: 'Downton Abbey' Season 5; UK Premiere Set For September 21
- Venice: Al Pacino Waxes On Depression, The Actors Studio & The “Amazing” 'Guardians Of The Galaxy'
- Venice: '99 Homes' Takes On The 1% With Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon (Video)