British actor Douglas Hodge will play candy/imagination impresario Willy Wonka in Sam Mendes‘ West End musical take on Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. The Warner Bros. Theatrical Ventures production is set to open next year. Hodge is currently starring in a Broadway revival of Cyrano De Bergerac and plays royal butler Paul Burrell in Oliver Hirschbiegel’s upcoming biopic Diana, opposite Naomi Watts. Mendes’ James Bond pic Skyfall opens Nov. 9 and he’ll begin previews of Charlie in London next May. New songs for the show are being penned by Smash and Hairspray duo Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. Hodge is a prolific stage actor who won an Olivier, a Tony, a Drama Desk and an Outer Critics Circle Award for La Cage Aux Folles two years ago. His feature credits include 2010’s Robin Hood and 2004’s Vanity Fair. He was also just in BBC drama Bert & Dickie about the 1948 Olympic rowers Bert Bushnell and Dickie Burnell. Mendes’ Neal Street Productions and Kevin McCormick (Gangster Squad, Rent-A-Ghost) are also producing Charlie.
Sam Mendes’ West End ‘Charlie’ Casts ‘Diana’ Star Douglas Hodge As Willy Wonka
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Maggie Smith Hints At ‘Downton Abbey’ Departure
- Combined Endemol Shine Distribution Entity Gets Name; Exec Team Outlined
- Auds Check Into ‘Marigold Hotel 2′; ‘Grey’ Bound To Top Spot: Intl Box Office Update
- ’50 Shades’ Now Uni’s Biggest R-Rated Film Overseas; Nears $500M Global B.O.
- Darrin Prescott & Wade Allen ‘Live!’ In Feature Helming Debut For The Solution
- ‘Spectre’ Director Sam Mendes On Why He Came Back To Bond After ‘Skyfall’