British actor Douglas Hodge will play candy/imagination impresario Willy Wonka in Sam Mendes‘ West End musical take on Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. The Warner Bros. Theatrical Ventures production is set to open next year. Hodge is currently starring in a Broadway revival of Cyrano De Bergerac and plays royal butler Paul Burrell in Oliver Hirschbiegel’s upcoming biopic Diana, opposite Naomi Watts. Mendes’ James Bond pic Skyfall opens Nov. 9 and he’ll begin previews of Charlie in London next May. New songs for the show are being penned by Smash and Hairspray duo Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. Hodge is a prolific stage actor who won an Olivier, a Tony, a Drama Desk and an Outer Critics Circle Award for La Cage Aux Folles two years ago. His feature credits include 2010’s Robin Hood and 2004’s Vanity Fair. He was also just in BBC drama Bert & Dickie about the 1948 Olympic rowers Bert Bushnell and Dickie Burnell. Mendes’ Neal Street Productions and Kevin McCormick (Gangster Squad, Rent-A-Ghost) are also producing Charlie.
Sam Mendes’ West End ‘Charlie’ Casts ‘Diana’ Star Douglas Hodge As Willy Wonka
Trending Now on Deadline
Ryan Murphy & His 'Glee' Co-Creators Get Fox Series Order For Comedy-Horror Anthology 'Scream Queens'
Alamo Drafthouse's Tim League: Make A Place For Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino, And Film Stock In Digital Future
More From Tartaglione
- Int'l Box Office Final: 'Guardians' Now 3rd Biggest Marvel Movie Ever
- 'Bang Bang' Shoots To Top Of 2014 Chart As #1 Bollywood Film In North America: Box Office
- Pedro Almodovar Feted As Thierry Frémaux's Lumière Fest Nears Close
- Well-Attended Mipcom Has Lots Of Drama, Lack Of Non-Scripted Breakouts
- 'Doll & Em' Renewed For 2nd Season; 'Top Of The Lake' Returning: Mipcom Briefs
- M Night Shyamalan Says 'Wayward Pines' Taught Him To Be Less "Precious"; Steven Moffat Talks 'Doctor Who': Mipcom