British actor Douglas Hodge will play candy/imagination impresario Willy Wonka in Sam Mendes‘ West End musical take on Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. The Warner Bros. Theatrical Ventures production is set to open next year. Hodge is currently starring in a Broadway revival of Cyrano De Bergerac and plays royal butler Paul Burrell in Oliver Hirschbiegel’s upcoming biopic Diana, opposite Naomi Watts. Mendes’ James Bond pic Skyfall opens Nov. 9 and he’ll begin previews of Charlie in London next May. New songs for the show are being penned by Smash and Hairspray duo Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. Hodge is a prolific stage actor who won an Olivier, a Tony, a Drama Desk and an Outer Critics Circle Award for La Cage Aux Folles two years ago. His feature credits include 2010’s Robin Hood and 2004’s Vanity Fair. He was also just in BBC drama Bert & Dickie about the 1948 Olympic rowers Bert Bushnell and Dickie Burnell. Mendes’ Neal Street Productions and Kevin McCormick (Gangster Squad, Rent-A-Ghost) are also producing Charlie.
Sam Mendes’ West End ‘Charlie’ Casts ‘Diana’ Star Douglas Hodge As Willy Wonka
What's Hot on Deadline
Arnold Schwarzenegger To Trump: "Send An Unequivocal Message That You Won't Stand For Hate And Racism"
After Horrific Summer At Box Office, 'It' Will Bring Life To Fall Marketplace With Potential $60M Opening
Latest International News
- Bruce Forsyth Dies: Brit TV Legend Who “Delighted Millions” Was 89
- ITV Plans Build Mini-Theme Park In London
- Gemma Chan Joins ‘Mary Queen Of Scots’ Opposite Saoirse Ronan & Margot Robbie
- BBC Commissions New Dramas From ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ Scribe & ‘Poldark’ Producer
- China’s Puji Capital Invests In Peter Guber’s Mandalay Endurance
- Barcelona Terrorist Attack: Police Thwart Second Plot After 13 Killed, 100+ Hurt In City – Update