The helmer of Joe Dirt, New York Minute and What A Girl Wants will become the first American woman to direct a feature for the Chinese market. The Chinese-language My Lucky Star, a romantic comedy toplined by Zhang Ziyi and China pop singer Wang Leehom, is a prequel to the China hit Sophie’s Revenge. Zhang reprises her lead role as Sophie, who embarks on a romantic adventure from Beijing to Singapore to Hong Kong to Macau. Bona Entertainment is producing with Ling Lucas, Beaver Kwei, Second Chan, William Cheng and Zhang, and the pic is being shot in mainland China. Dennie Gordon developed the pic with Kwei, Amy Snow and Huang Hai. “We are doing something new and very exciting, where a specific Hollywood style is brought to a Chinese feature”, said Gordon, who has directed multiple episodes of 30 Rock and The Office and won a DGA Award for HBO’s Tracey Takes On. She is repped by CAA. Snow is repped by Verve.
Dennie Gordon To Direct China Pic ‘My Lucky Star’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- HBO Miniseries 'Olive Kitteridge' Sets November Premiere Dates
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is “Resting Comfortably”, Says Daughter Melissa
- No Hollywood Credits For Obama IP Czar Nominee
- Hot Trailer: Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater'
- David Hyde Pierce Joins 'The Good Wife' In Recurring Role
- TNT's 'Proof', Netflix's 'Narcos' & Amazon Pilot 'Man In The High Castle' Add Cast