At the Toronto Film Festival last month, UK-based Cascade Pictures announced its intentions to package films through a mix of gap and debt finance, international soft money options and pre-sales. Today, via its Cascade Media Development arm, the company is launching the Writers’ Couch, an initiative that aims to help screenwriters develop projects and move them into production. Scribes, who must be UK residents and must not have representation, will be invited to pitch their completed scripts once a month to development execs at Cascade who will judge projects on writing quality, probability for commercial or critical success and how they fit with Cascade’s aim to produce genre projects for the UK and international market. Cascade has previously said it will support low to mid-high budgets in its first year before moving into the higher-end range. The Writers’ Couch will be overseen by former Exclusive Media and Fandango Portobello exec Daniel Campos Pavoncelli, seconded by Sam Cheetham who has worked with Pinewood Studios and Will Clarke’s Altitude Film Entertainment. Mark Fisher, former CFO of the Icon UK Group, set up the Cascade group of companies earlier this year. The opening day for applications is Nov. 12. Full guidelines are available at writers-couch.com.
UK-Based Cascade Launches Writers’ Couch Initiative To Develop New Screenwriters
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?