Apple‘s stock — which topped $700 in mid-September — briefly dipped under $600 and remained -1% in after-market trading after reporting disappointing results for the most recent quarter. It’s not that the company did badly. Indeed, for anyone else the results would be considered fantastic: Apple reported net income of $8.2B for its fiscal Q4, +24.2% vs the period last year, on revenues of nearly $36B, +27.2%. The revenue figure slightly beat the Street’s expectations for $35.8B. But earnings per share, at $8.67, were below forecasts for $8.75. Apple’s bare-bones announcement says that it sold 26.9M iPhones in the quarter (+58% vs last year) as well as 14.0M iPads (+26%), 4.9M Macs (+1%), and 5.3M iPods (-19%). The company says it expects to generate $52B in revenue next year, with earnings per share of about $11.75. “We’re very proud to end a fantastic fiscal year with record September quarter results,” CEO Tim Cook says. “We’re entering this holiday season with the best iPhone, iPad, Mac and iPod products ever, and we remain very confident in our new product pipeline.” Apple shares are down about 9.5% over the last month as many investors began to wonder whether the tech company can continue to soar. Reactions to its iPad Mini have been mixed — and it faces intensifying competition from phones and tablets powered by Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows operating systems.
Apple’s Fiscal Q4 Earnings Fail To Reassure Anxious Investors
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest Business News
- After 1-Day Strike, IATSE Wins Contract With NBC’s ‘Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge’
- NBC’s Robert Greenblatt On The Importance Of Leaving A Digital Footprint – NAB Show
- National CineMedia Promotes Lawrence Snapp To Chief Digital Officer
- WGA Establishes Strike Fund In Preparation For Walkout
- Roman Polanski Rape Victim Joins Director’s Latest Effort For U.S. Return
- ‘A Chorus Line’ Original Baayork Lee Will Receive Special Tony Award