The two legal actions against Dinesh D’Souza are heading to arbitration — just like the 2016: Obama’s America co-director said he wanted. “The court declines to decide this case on the merits outside the arbitration process,” Judge Kevin Enright ruled today in San Diego Superior Court. In separate suits, D’Souza’s former producing partner Douglas Sain and the investor group Rancho Esperanza both sought temporary restraining orders against the author and filmmaker. Both claimed D’Souza had misused funds related to the film, which has grossed more than $33 million at the box office, making it the second-most-successful domestic political documentary ever. After listening to arguments from lawyers from all parties Wednesday, Enright rejected the plaintiffs’ request today. “The applications before the court are vague, lack specificity and do not seek to enjoin a particular act. The plaintiffs failed to make an adequate show of irreparable harm to occur in such a way that cannot be later remedied,” he wrote. D’Souza’s lawyer James Burgess of LA firm Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton did not respond to request for comment. Neither did Sain’s lawyer David King of San Diego’s King Law Group or Rancho Esperanza’s attorney Joe Leventhal of Leventhal Law Firm.
Judge Rejects ‘2016: Obama’s America’ Lawsuits
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Latest Film News
- NBCU Intl Acquires ‘The Outpost’ For Syfy; IQiyi Advancing On IPO – Global Briefs
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- ‘The Trade’: Exclusive Look At Showtime’s Opioid Epidemic Docuseries Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl