The second-most-successful political documentary in American box office history will be available on DVD and for rental Tuesday. That’s 91 days after 2016: Obama’s America was first released in a single theater July 13, one day more than the film is contractually obligated to be in theaters, and three weeks before the presidential election. Lionsgate Entertainment are distributing. Amazon and iTunes, among others, have 2016 available now for pre-order for $19.99 and $14.99; 2016 is also available tomorrow for digital rental though those outlets. It first appeared on Amazon late last week. “We are excited about the DVD reaching a whole group of people across the political spectrum not inclined to see the film in theaters,” said co-director Dinesh D’Souza, the conservative author of the bestseller The Roots Of Obama’s Rage that was the basis for the documentary. The film’s producers are allowing nonprofit groups, such as churches, to screen the movie for audiences. 2016 has made more than $33 million at the box office. Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11 is the top-grossing political documentary of all time with $119 million.
‘2016: Obama’s America’ Coming Out On DVD Tomorrow
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘The Maze Runner: The Death Cure’ Will Start Production Again In Feb.
- ‘The Hollars’ Review: John Krasinski’s Directorial Triumph Earns Laughs & Tears
- Gene Wilder: Hollywood Reacts To Legendary Comic Actor’s Death
- Mel Brooks On Gene Wilder: “One Of The Truly Great Talents Of Our Time”
- Gene Wilder Dies: ‘Willy Wonka’, ‘Young Frankenstein’ & ‘Blazing Saddles’ Star Was 83
- MoMA Slates Fall Bardfest With 21 Shakespeare-Related Films