News about the move comes from anonymous sources who spoke to The New York Times‘ Brian Stelter, who’s writing a book about the morning newscasts. He says Willie Geist will serve as a backup to Matt Lauer on Today. But he’ll primarily be there to join Natalie Morales, Al Roker and Savannah Guthrie for the third hour of the broadcast. As a result, Geist will give up his 5:30 AM ET MSNBC show Way Too Early With Willie Geist. And he’ll also have less time for Morning Joe, where the NYT says Geist has served as the show’s “straight man.” Geist’s contract was due to expire at the end of September. He’s the son of CBS News correspondent Bill Geist and is repped by WME.
Willie Geist Will Host Third Hour Of ‘Today': Report
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Relativity CEO Says Appointment Of Lawyer As Managing Director Will Help IPO Plans
- It's No Blip, Online Video Is Taking Ad Dollars From Traditional TV: Analyst
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz