News about the move comes from anonymous sources who spoke to The New York Times‘ Brian Stelter, who’s writing a book about the morning newscasts. He says Willie Geist will serve as a backup to Matt Lauer on Today. But he’ll primarily be there to join Natalie Morales, Al Roker and Savannah Guthrie for the third hour of the broadcast. As a result, Geist will give up his 5:30 AM ET MSNBC show Way Too Early With Willie Geist. And he’ll also have less time for Morning Joe, where the NYT says Geist has served as the show’s “straight man.” Geist’s contract was due to expire at the end of September. He’s the son of CBS News correspondent Bill Geist and is repped by WME.
Willie Geist Will Host Third Hour Of ‘Today’: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale & Aftershow: "A.D." Mystery Solved; Cast Would Say Yes To Reunion - Update
'Baby Driver' Starts Its Engine Tuesday Night; 'Wonder Woman' Beating 'Suicide Squad' With $325M+ Running Cume
Latest Business News
- New York Times Editors Decry “Humiliating Process” Of Layoffs
- Vice Media Retracts Two Trump-Disney Hall Of Presidents Stories After Finding “Factual Errors”
- Disney Maintains Dividend Following Late 2016 Increase
- Are Bots Flooding The FCC With Bogus Calls To Weaken Net Neutrality Rules?
- FX Networks Promotes Colette Wilson To SVP Current Series; Pair Upped To VP
- Elvis Presley Prequel ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ Is Broadway Bound. Or Not.