News about the move comes from anonymous sources who spoke to The New York Times‘ Brian Stelter, who’s writing a book about the morning newscasts. He says Willie Geist will serve as a backup to Matt Lauer on Today. But he’ll primarily be there to join Natalie Morales, Al Roker and Savannah Guthrie for the third hour of the broadcast. As a result, Geist will give up his 5:30 AM ET MSNBC show Way Too Early With Willie Geist. And he’ll also have less time for Morning Joe, where the NYT says Geist has served as the show’s “straight man.” Geist’s contract was due to expire at the end of September. He’s the son of CBS News correspondent Bill Geist and is repped by WME.
Willie Geist Will Host Third Hour Of ‘Today’: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
'Miss Peregrine' Rules With $25M-$26M; 'Deepwater Horizon' Murky; 'Masterminds' Dumbs Down - Late Night B.O. Update
'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' Review: Eccentric Family Movie Is Tim Burton's Perfect Match
How Paramount's 'Ghost In The Shell' Hacked 'Mr. Robot's Season 2 Finale & Took Social Media By Storm
Latest Business News
- Scrap California Film Incentives? Nonpartisan State Analyst Says Maybe – Again
- Can CBS And Viacom Investors See Eye-To-Eye On Merger Numbers?
- Viacom’s New Directors Will Lead Committee Weighing CBS Deal
- Media Stocks Share Gains In Generally Upbeat Q3 Market
- Hollywood & Broadway To Put On Big-Money Show For Hillary Clinton
- Anonymous Content Finds Its New Strategic Partner: Laurene Powell Jobs’ Emerson Collective