The movie starring Tom Cruise won’t be out until December 21. But Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman told investors at the Goldman Sachs Annual Communacopia Conference today that he’s “hoping to create new franchise” from the novels created by Jim Grant (who uses the pen name Lee Child). It goes to the heart of a strategy that he says will lead to “a good year” for Paramount. “We reduced the number of releases to about 15 a year and focused on existing franchises, developing new franchises, and developing our brands.” In addition to Reacher, he says that “we’re going to have a Jack Ryan franchise” — referring to the character featured in The Hunt For Red October and Patriot Games. He’s also upbeat about new versions of Transformers, and the planned film built around Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Although the film operation has struggled to recoup revenues lost from the decline of DVD sales, Dauman says Paramount’s productions have “driven some value for the rest of the company” including at EPIX and the overseas Paramount channels. “I’m very pleased with how they’ve performed and where they are.”
Viacom's Philippe Dauman Talks Up Possibility Of A 'Jack Reacher' Franchise
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
Latest Film News
- Vice Forms All-Female Advisory In Wake Of Exec’s Conduct Suspension
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: WGA Nixes ‘Three Billboards’; Bleecker Puts Lumps Of Coal In Critics’ Stockings; ‘Get Out…
- ‘Get Out’s Jordan Peele Responds To Golden Globes Category
- Douglas Booth In Talks To Play Nikki Sixx In Motley Crue Biopic ‘The Dirt’
- New Regency Lands ‘The Skies Belong To Us’ Based On Story Of Historic Hijacking