Stock prices for exhibition chains likely will be “relatively range-bound” for the next two months as theaters begin September — the slowest month of the year for box office sales — with a lot of ground to make up, Barclays Equity Research’s Anthony DiClemente says this morning. The summer ended with domestic sales of $4.28B, down 2.8% vs the period last year. Attendance fell 4.3% to 533M, which was slightly offset by a 1.5% rise in ticket prices. As a result, sales in Q3 will fall short of DiClemente’s $2.86B forecast — already down 1.3% from last year — unless September is 20% higher than 2011. That “could be quite difficult,” the analyst says. For one thing, last September was unusually strong, +11% vs the month in 2010. And the releases teed up for the next few weeks don’t look like they’ll generate much excitement: DiClemente said that the top performers likely will be Disney/Pixar’s 3D re-release of Finding Nemo, Sony’s Resident Evil: Retribution and TriStar’s Looper. Indeed, the analyst says that box offices should be relatively quiet until November when MGM releases the James Bond film Skyfall and Lionsgate has The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Part Two). Separately, Lazard Capital Markets’ Barton Crockett projects that Q3 domestic box office sales will end up -4,6% to $2.76B.
Theaters Face Fall Doldrums After A Disappointing Summer: Analyst
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Latest Film News
- ‘On Her Shoulders’: Alexandria Bombach’s Sundance Docu Reveals Price Of Becoming Voice Of A People
- USC Scripter Awards Nominations: Ties Make For Loaded Flim & TV Field
- '70s Screen Icon Pam Grier Speaks On Sex Harassment & Her Biopic With Jay Pharoah Playing Richard Pryor
- Trevor Jackson & Jason Mitchell To Star In Sony’s ‘Superfly’ Remake From Director X; Future, Steven R. Shore…
- Saudi Arabia Fund Eyeing Endeavor Stake; May Invest $500M+ In WME Parent
- VES Awards Nominations: ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Latest ‘Apes’ Lead Film; ‘Thrones’ Rules All With…