EXCLUSIVE: This year’s Sundance Film Festival best director Ava DuVernay is helming an in-depth documentary that explores tennis star Venus Williams’ fight for fair pay at Wimbledon. Entitled Venus VS, the project is directed by DuVernay who is producing with Howard Barish. Robin Roberts and Jane Rosenthal are executive producers. Venus VS is part of ESPN Films’ Nine for IX, a series of films covering the 40th anniversary of Title IX, the 1972 federal legislation that mandated equal opportunities for female athletes. Venus VS will be broadcast on ESPN in 2013. DuVernay will be at the Toronto Film Festival where her Sundance winner Middle Of Nowhere will screen next week prior to opening in theaters October 12 via AFFRM and Participant Media.
Sundance Winner Ava DuVernay Helms Venus Williams Doc For ESPN
What's Hot on Deadline
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
'Nashville' Creator Callie Khouri On Tragic Twist, Its Inevitability & Aftermath And Why Fans Should Keep Watching
President Donald Trump Will Not Attend White House Correspondents' Dinner; Event Will Go On As Scheduled (Update)
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'