EXCLUSIVE: This year’s Sundance Film Festival best director Ava DuVernay is helming an in-depth documentary that explores tennis star Venus Williams’ fight for fair pay at Wimbledon. Entitled Venus VS, the project is directed by DuVernay who is producing with Howard Barish. Robin Roberts and Jane Rosenthal are executive producers. Venus VS is part of ESPN Films’ Nine for IX, a series of films covering the 40th anniversary of Title IX, the 1972 federal legislation that mandated equal opportunities for female athletes. Venus VS will be broadcast on ESPN in 2013. DuVernay will be at the Toronto Film Festival where her Sundance winner Middle Of Nowhere will screen next week prior to opening in theaters October 12 via AFFRM and Participant Media.
Sundance Winner Ava DuVernay Helms Venus Williams Doc For ESPN
What's Hot on Deadline
Meghan McCain Discovers Donald Trump Lies, Blasting Her Cancer-Stricken Father At CPAC After Promising To Stop
Disney Channel Launching Toon Series 'Amphibia' & 'The Owl House', Renews 'Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil' For Season 4
Eli Broad Joins Oprah Winfrey, Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donations To End Gun Violence: Who's Next?
Latest TV News
- Anthony Hemingway To Direct CBS Drama Pilot ‘Murder’
- NBC Tweaks Thursday Night Schedule: ‘A.P. Bio’ Moves To Earlier Timeslot
- ‘Paterno’ Trailer: Al Pacino Confronts Reality In HBO Movie
- NRA’s Dana Loesch Calmly Left CNN Town Hall As Attendees Chanted “Shame On You”: VIDEO
- Nanette Fabray Dies: Stage And TV Comic Actress Was 97
- Four Broward Officers Took Cover Outside Florida School As Gunman Killed 17 – Report