EXCLUSIVE: This year’s Sundance Film Festival best director Ava DuVernay is helming an in-depth documentary that explores tennis star Venus Williams’ fight for fair pay at Wimbledon. Entitled Venus VS, the project is directed by DuVernay who is producing with Howard Barish. Robin Roberts and Jane Rosenthal are executive producers. Venus VS is part of ESPN Films’ Nine for IX, a series of films covering the 40th anniversary of Title IX, the 1972 federal legislation that mandated equal opportunities for female athletes. Venus VS will be broadcast on ESPN in 2013. DuVernay will be at the Toronto Film Festival where her Sundance winner Middle Of Nowhere will screen next week prior to opening in theaters October 12 via AFFRM and Participant Media.
Sundance Winner Ava DuVernay Helms Venus Williams Doc For ESPN
What's Hot on Deadline
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest TV News
- ‘Mariah’s World’: Mariah Carey’s E! Series Premiere Draws 4 Million Total Viewers
- 21st Century Fox Reaches Preliminary Deal To Acquire UK’s Sky
- HBO Developing Space Drama From J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot & Writer Javier Gullón
- ‘Duck Dynasty’s Gurney Productions Founders Fired & Sued For Fraud By ITV
- Chiefs Win Sees ‘Thursday Night Football’ Ratings Fall, ‘Pitch’ Up, ‘Notorious’ Low
- Cinemax Returns To Action, Pulpy Series & Co-Prods In New Programming Strategy