EXCLUSIVE: This year’s Sundance Film Festival best director Ava DuVernay is helming an in-depth documentary that explores tennis star Venus Williams’ fight for fair pay at Wimbledon. Entitled Venus VS, the project is directed by DuVernay who is producing with Howard Barish. Robin Roberts and Jane Rosenthal are executive producers. Venus VS is part of ESPN Films’ Nine for IX, a series of films covering the 40th anniversary of Title IX, the 1972 federal legislation that mandated equal opportunities for female athletes. Venus VS will be broadcast on ESPN in 2013. DuVernay will be at the Toronto Film Festival where her Sundance winner Middle Of Nowhere will screen next week prior to opening in theaters October 12 via AFFRM and Participant Media.
Sundance Winner Ava DuVernay Helms Venus Williams Doc For ESPN
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Murphy On '9-1-1's Ratings Success, Season 2 Details, Connie Britton's Future On the Show & Potential Spinoff Series
'The Assassination Of Gianni Versace' Season Finale: What Does Designer's Murder Mean 20 Years Later?
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Deleted Scene Features Tom Hardy, Prince Harry & Prince William As Storm Troopers
'Once Upon A Time' Series Finale: Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Morrison, Josh Dallas & Emilie de Ravin Returning
Hallmark Channel Upfront Presentation Canceled Due To Storm; Net Makes Announcements, Including ‘When Calls the Heart’ Renewal, At Central Park Event
Latest TV News
- ‘The Crown’ & ‘Taboo’ Lead BAFTA TV Craft Nominations – Full List
- ‘Trainspotting’s Kelly Macdonald To Star In BBC One Legal Thriller ‘The Victim’
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Sets Jerry O’Connell To Play Sheldon’s Brother – PaleyFest
- ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace’ Season Finale: What Does Designer’s Murder Mean 20 Years Later?
- ‘Most Likely To’: Donald Faison & Laya DeLeon Hayes Cast In ABC Comedy Pilot
- ‘Magnum P.I.’ Casts Stephen Hill; ‘Dead Inside’ Adds Myles Bullock