EXCLUSIVE: This year’s Sundance Film Festival best director Ava DuVernay is helming an in-depth documentary that explores tennis star Venus Williams’ fight for fair pay at Wimbledon. Entitled Venus VS, the project is directed by DuVernay who is producing with Howard Barish. Robin Roberts and Jane Rosenthal are executive producers. Venus VS is part of ESPN Films’ Nine for IX, a series of films covering the 40th anniversary of Title IX, the 1972 federal legislation that mandated equal opportunities for female athletes. Venus VS will be broadcast on ESPN in 2013. DuVernay will be at the Toronto Film Festival where her Sundance winner Middle Of Nowhere will screen next week prior to opening in theaters October 12 via AFFRM and Participant Media.
Sundance Winner Ava DuVernay Helms Venus Williams Doc For ESPN
What's Hot on Deadline
Veterans 'Elementary', '2 Broke Girls', 'Criminal Minds' & 'Amazing Race' Among Series Left In Limbo After CBS Renewals
CBS Renews 5 Freshman & 11 Returning Series, Including 'MacGyver', 'Superior Donuts', 'Life In Pieces' & 'Hawaii Five-0'
Latest TV News
- All Eyes On Donald Trump Twitter Account After Trumpcare Vote Postponed
- Sean Spicer Swats CNN On Russian Collusion Report: More Evidence CNN Colluded With Hillary Clinton
- ATX Television Festival Sets ‘Snowfall’ For Opening Night, Network Presidents Panel, ‘Fargo…
- Damien Chazelle, Jordan Peele & Oprah Winfrey On Produced By Conference Roster
- Eliza Dushku Joins CBS’ ‘Bull’ As Savvy Lawyer This Season & Maybe Next
- ‘Ink Master’ Renewed For Season 10 At Spike