EXCLUSIVE: This year’s Sundance Film Festival best director Ava DuVernay is helming an in-depth documentary that explores tennis star Venus Williams’ fight for fair pay at Wimbledon. Entitled Venus VS, the project is directed by DuVernay who is producing with Howard Barish. Robin Roberts and Jane Rosenthal are executive producers. Venus VS is part of ESPN Films’ Nine for IX, a series of films covering the 40th anniversary of Title IX, the 1972 federal legislation that mandated equal opportunities for female athletes. Venus VS will be broadcast on ESPN in 2013. DuVernay will be at the Toronto Film Festival where her Sundance winner Middle Of Nowhere will screen next week prior to opening in theaters October 12 via AFFRM and Participant Media.
Sundance Winner Ava DuVernay Helms Venus Williams Doc For ESPN
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest TV News
- Bill Maher: Don’t Lump Al Franken With Weinstein, Spacey & Donald Trump
- Wendy Pepper Dies: Contestant On First Season Of ‘Project Runway’ Was 53
- Vice Forms All-Female Advisory In Wake Of Exec’s Conduct Suspension
- ‘True Detective’: Carmen Ejogo To Star In Season 3 Of HBO Anthology Series
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Eva Longoria Teams With David Schulner & Nisha Ganatra For ‘Lucky Boy’ Immigrant Drama Series Based On Book