Martin Scorsese and Steve Zaillian are teaming to produce a documentary on Roger Ebert inspired by the film critic’s 2011 memoir Life Itself. Steve James, who directed the doc Hoop Dreams, will helm it. Garrett Basch is producing, Scorsese via his Sikelia banner and Zaillian via Film Rites are exec producing, and James’ Kartemquin Films also will produce in some capacity. Ebert has been reviewing films for the Chicago Sun Times since l967 and on TV for four decades, and he was the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize. His personal life, detailed in the book, include bouts with alcohol and thyroid cancer that cost the critic his voice and parts of his jaw and shoulder. Despite that he remains a vital voice in the film world and has more than 700,000 Twitter followers. “Roger’s life has so much to say about movies over the last 30 to 40 years. And as his memoir makes so clear, his story is also one of great personal struggle and triumph. I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Steve and Marty to tell this poignant and entertaining life story.” Ebert was repped in the deal by IPG’s Joel Gotler and Brian Lipson.
Roger Ebert Memoir To Become Doc From Martin Scorsese And Steve Zaillian, Helmed By 'Hoop Dreams' Steve James
What's Hot on Deadline
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
'Justice League' Trailer: Wonder Woman Saves School Children, But Is Superman Still Alive? - Comic-Con
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest Film News
- Charlize Theron Champions Female Directors & More Pics Like ‘Wonder Woman’ – Comic-Con
- Warner Bros. Confirms DC Universe Pic Titles: ‘Wonder Woman II’, ‘Flashpoint’ & More – Comic-Con
- Sony Options Female-Empowerment Comic ‘Princeless’ For Movie – Comic-Con
- Pamela Adlon Joins Cast Of ‘Transformers’ Spinoff ‘Bumblebee’
- ‘Justice League’ Trailer: Wonder Woman Saves School Children, But Is Superman Still Alive? – Comic-Con
- Ben Affleck Refutes ‘Batman’ Exit Rumor: “So Thrilled To Do It” – Comic-Con