Martin Scorsese and Steve Zaillian are teaming to produce a documentary on Roger Ebert inspired by the film critic’s 2011 memoir Life Itself. Steve James, who directed the doc Hoop Dreams, will helm it. Garrett Basch is producing, Scorsese via his Sikelia banner and Zaillian via Film Rites are exec producing, and James’ Kartemquin Films also will produce in some capacity. Ebert has been reviewing films for the Chicago Sun Times since l967 and on TV for four decades, and he was the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize. His personal life, detailed in the book, include bouts with alcohol and thyroid cancer that cost the critic his voice and parts of his jaw and shoulder. Despite that he remains a vital voice in the film world and has more than 700,000 Twitter followers. “Roger’s life has so much to say about movies over the last 30 to 40 years. And as his memoir makes so clear, his story is also one of great personal struggle and triumph. I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Steve and Marty to tell this poignant and entertaining life story.” Ebert was repped in the deal by IPG’s Joel Gotler and Brian Lipson.
Roger Ebert Memoir To Become Doc From Martin Scorsese And Steve Zaillian, Helmed By 'Hoop Dreams' Steve James
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Director Ryan Coogler Writes Letter Of Gratitude After Film's Record-Breaking Weekend
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: At $242M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats 'Last Jedi' - Update
Latest Film News
- Study Finds “Little Progress” For Women In Percentage Of Non-Acting Oscar Nominations
- ‘Black Panther’ Director Ryan Coogler Writes Letter Of Gratitude After Film’s Record-Breaking Weekend
- Weinstein Co. Bidders Eyeing Sit-Down With New York AG As Lawsuit Stalls Sale
- ‘Black Panther’ Goes Wild: At $242M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats ‘Last Jedi…
- Duplass Brothers Contest Finalist Film ‘Lost Bayou’ Sets Cast; Kristanna Loken Cast In ‘University Intelligence…
- ‘Paddington’s Paul King In Talks To Direct Live-Action ‘Pinocchio’ For Disney