Ricky Gervais‘ British series Derek is coming to Netflix sometime next year. Netflix acquired rights to the comedy starring, written and directed by Gervais after the show’s run on Channel 4, the New York Times reported. Gervais plays the title character, a simple middle-aged man who works in a nursing home. The show also features Karl Pilkington, a Gervais regular and star of the travel series An Idiot Abroad. Gervais created the original British version of The Office plus HBO’s standup comedy specials The Ricky Gervais Show, Extras and Life’s Too Short. The irreverent Gervais also served three times as host of the Golden Globe Awards. In Britain there were concerns that Derek was mocking disabled people with one character in the pilot, but the comedian said the character was not disabled. Roughly 2 million viewers watched the episode which lead to a full series order. Regarding his decision to bypass broadcast or cable TV, “Netflix is the future” Gervais said in a statement. “People want their favorite shows on demand whether they are homegrown or not.”
Netflix Buys Ricky Gervais British Comedy Series 'Derek'
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
Latest TV News
- Amy Sherman-Palladino Tells Women Stage Directors ‘Broadway Is Heaven’ – But Some Demur
- Genie Francis, ‘General Hospital’s Laura, Bumped Down To Recurring Status On ABC Soap
- ‘History Of Them’: Lisa Vidal, Felix Solis & Amit Shah Join Cast As Multi-Cultural Comedy Gets Formal Pilot Order…
- CBS Orders Drama Pilot ‘Murder’, Comedy ‘I Mom So Hard’ From Warner Bros. TV
- ‘The Alienist’ Review: Nothing Alienating About TNT’s Deft 19th Century Drama
- NBC Orders ‘The Enemy Within’ Drama Pilot From Ken Woodruff & Vernon Sanders