Ricky Gervais‘ British series Derek is coming to Netflix sometime next year. Netflix acquired rights to the comedy starring, written and directed by Gervais after the show’s run on Channel 4, the New York Times reported. Gervais plays the title character, a simple middle-aged man who works in a nursing home. The show also features Karl Pilkington, a Gervais regular and star of the travel series An Idiot Abroad. Gervais created the original British version of The Office plus HBO’s standup comedy specials The Ricky Gervais Show, Extras and Life’s Too Short. The irreverent Gervais also served three times as host of the Golden Globe Awards. In Britain there were concerns that Derek was mocking disabled people with one character in the pilot, but the comedian said the character was not disabled. Roughly 2 million viewers watched the episode which lead to a full series order. Regarding his decision to bypass broadcast or cable TV, “Netflix is the future” Gervais said in a statement. “People want their favorite shows on demand whether they are homegrown or not.”
Netflix Buys Ricky Gervais British Comedy Series 'Derek'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Latest TV News
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling…
- Fergie Apologizes For NBA All-Star Game National Anthem That “Didn’t Strike The Intended Tone”
- Donald Trump Will Attend This Year’s Gridiron Dinner; Still A “Maybe” On White House Correspondents…
- David Parfitt Accuses Harvey Weinstein Of Assaulting Him On ‘My Week With Marilyn’
- NBA All-Star Game Scores In Ratings For TNT & TBS
- Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed