Ricky Gervais‘ British series Derek is coming to Netflix sometime next year. Netflix acquired rights to the comedy starring, written and directed by Gervais after the show’s run on Channel 4, the New York Times reported. Gervais plays the title character, a simple middle-aged man who works in a nursing home. The show also features Karl Pilkington, a Gervais regular and star of the travel series An Idiot Abroad. Gervais created the original British version of The Office plus HBO’s standup comedy specials The Ricky Gervais Show, Extras and Life’s Too Short. The irreverent Gervais also served three times as host of the Golden Globe Awards. In Britain there were concerns that Derek was mocking disabled people with one character in the pilot, but the comedian said the character was not disabled. Roughly 2 million viewers watched the episode which lead to a full series order. Regarding his decision to bypass broadcast or cable TV, “Netflix is the future” Gervais said in a statement. “People want their favorite shows on demand whether they are homegrown or not.”
Netflix Buys Ricky Gervais British Comedy Series 'Derek'
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest TV News
- Fox And Viacom Lead Media Stock Rally Sparked By Merger Speculation
- Kat Dennings To Star In Hulu Pilot ‘Dollface;’ ‘I, Tonya’s Margot Robbie, Bryan Unkeless Producing
- ‘Transparent’ Writer Says Jeffrey Tambor Accusers Told “Their Truth” & Series Should Not “Be Taken Down” By…
- ‘Doctor Who’ Sneak Peek: Peter Capaldi Makes Final Appearance In Special
- FX To Develop ‘Highway 59’ Crime Drama Series Based On Attica Locke’s Book ‘Bluebird, Bluebird’
- Deadline’s Podcast New Hollywood: Race-Specific Characters & ‘The 15:17 To Paris’ With Sinqua Walls