HBO‘s political talk show Real Time With Bill Maher averaged 1.4 million viewers on Friday, marking the biggest audience for the show in almost eight years. The episode fell between the hot-button GOP and Democratic national conventions and featured a tense interview between Maher — an ardent supporter of President Obama who earlier this year donated $1M to his re-election campaign — and filmmaker-author Dinesh D’Souza. D’Souza made the anti-Obama documentary 2016 Obama’s America, which finished in the top 10 at the weekend box office this past frame and is now the fifth-highest-grossing political documentary of all time, most recently surpassing Michael Moore’s Capitalism: A Love Story. A combined 1.9 million watched the episode across two plays Friday night.
'Real Time With Bill Maher' Nets Biggest Audience In 8 Years
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office FINAL: 'Maze Runner' Finds $32.5M; Liam's 'Walk' Limps In With $12.7M; 'Where I Leave You,' $11.5M
More From Team
- Global Showbiz Briefs: South Korea Submits 'Sea Fog' For Foreign-Language Oscar Race; Winnie Lau Joins Jet Tone Films
- Peter Dinklage Set For 'The Thicket'; John Magaro Joins 'The Finest Hours'; Celebrity Death Pool Pic Adds 6 To Cast
- John Candy's Son Takes The Lead In 'Bar America': Hot Trailer
- John Travolta, Kate Bosworth & Devon Sawa Wired Up For 'Life On The Line'
- 'Kingsman: The Secret Service': Hot Trailer
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5: Hot TV Teaser