J. Edward Shugrue, former President of Loews Cineplex International and long-time head of the Sony Pictures overseas distribution division, passed away today after an illness. Known as Ted, he had a half century of experience in the entertainment industry. At Loews Cineplex International, he introduced state-of-the-art megaplexes in Spain, Korea and Italy. He played a significant role in building the distribution capabilities for TriStar Pictures, later Columbia TriStar, and served for 10 years as founding President of Columbia Tristar Film Distributors International. He forged important distribution deals for Columbia with Disney, Orion, Fox and The Weintraub Entertainment Group among others. He was an EVP for Sony Pictures and formed international production offices for box office hits like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Shugrue also managed distribution and sales offices for 20th Century Fox. He was a VP of the Will Rogers Motion Picture Pioneers and a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Most recently Shugrue was President/CEO of Envoy Media Partners Ltd, a British Virgin Islands joint venture that owns 80% of MegaStar Media.
R.I.P. Ted Shugrue
What's Hot on Deadline
Tom Rothman Takes A Shot At Netflix As He Reveals The "New Sony"; Plus 'Spider-Man' Interview - CinemaCon
Latest Film News
- Sony Lands ‘Hunting El Chapo:’ Studio To Enlist Michael Bay?
- NATO’s John Fithian Talks PVOD And Piracy After Touting “First Billion-Dollar March In History” At Box Office…
- Scott Adkins To Star In Indie Thriller ‘Incoming’; Julia Jones Boards ‘Hard Powder’
- ‘Valerian’, ‘Molly’s Game’, ‘Mile 22’ & ‘Bad Moms Christmas’ Round Out STX…
- Elton John, Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice To Bring Animated ‘Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’ To Big Screen For STX…
- Eddie Murphy Returns To Animation With Bo The Bull At STX – CinemaCon