John Ingle, best known as patriarch Edward Quartermaine on ABC’s General Hospital, has died after a battle with cancer. He was 84. Ingle’s passing on Sunday was first reported by a family member on Facebook and General Hospital executive producer Frank Valentini confirmed the news on Twitter. “We love him and will miss him. John will always be part of the #GH family,” Valentini wrote. The Oklahoma native took on the role of Edward Quartermaine in 1993 after retiring as an English and theater teacher. He taught at both Hollywood High Beverly Hills High School until 1985. Among his students were Nicolas Cage, Richard Dreyfuss, David Schwimmer and Albert Brooks. Ingle was fired from GH in 2003 and the role of Edward was to be killed off, but outraged fans spoke out and he was rehired. He left the show for a couple years to play Mickey Horton on Days Of Our Lives. He returned to GH as Edward in 2006 and made his final appearance in an episode that aired just last week. His other television credits include Beverly Hills, 90210, Cheers, Dallas and Doogie Howser, M.D. His film credits include Heathers, Robocop 2 and Batman & Robin.
R.I.P. John Ingle
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- National Geographic Channel Orders Series On Alaskan Log-Rafting From Gurney Productions
- 'Exodus: Gods And Kings' Trailer: Christian Bale & Ridley Scott Take On 'Ten Commandments'
- Ben Affleck On 'Daily Show': Jon Stewart “Spoils” 'Gone Girl' & 'Batman Vs. Superman' (Video)
- 'Angry Birds' Movie: Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader, Josh Gad & More Flock To Voice Cast
- GLAAD TV Report: ABC Family, HBO, MTV “Excellent”; A&E, History, TNT Fail
- PBS And CBS Dominate News & Documentary Emmys