BREAKING… Another new TV sports season, yet another labor squabble. The National Hockey League locked out players one minute after their union pact expired at midnight ET time, the AP reported. The clock struck midnight, and the NHL turned into another sports league closed for business. So much for NBC last year signing the largest TV deal in the history of the NHL, with the NBC Sports Group paying $2 billion over the next 10-years to retain the rights to hockey on American television. It’s in effect until the 2020-2021 season but who knows if there’ll even be this season. Because the two sides were so far apart in their bargaining that they didn’t even meet face-to-face today. This is the 3rd major pro sport to impose a work stoppage in the last 18 months, behind the NFL and NBA, and the 4th shutdown for the NHL since 1992 – including a year-long dispute that forced the cancellation of the entire 2004-2005 season when the league successfully held out for a salary cap. This time there was a reported $3.3 billion pot of revenue to split.
NHL Locks Out Players: Bad News For NBC
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Golden Globes Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water' & 'The Post' Tops In Film, 'Big Little Lies' Leads TV
Latest TV News
- Steve Edwards Out At ‘Good Day LA’ After 20-Plus Years
- CNN Suspends Ryan Lizza After New Yorker Cuts Ties Over “Improper Sexual Conduct”
- Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom’s Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still “KeatonStrong”?
- White House Dismisses Donald Trump Accusers As Sen. Gillibrand Demands Resignation
- ‘This Is Us’ Creator Dan Fogelman Teases Second Half Of Season 2: Aftermath Of Kevin’s DUI, Adoption…
- Kenya Barris/Alec Baldwin Family Comedy Gets Straight-To-Series Order By ABC