Michael Willner was the cable industry’s most popular CEO — and one of its most prominent representatives — up until February, when The Carlyle Group sold Insight Communications for $3B to Time Warner Cable. Now Willner and fellow Insight co-founder Sidney Knafel have paid an undisclosed amount for a controlling interest in Pittsburgh-based Penthera Partners. Willner be CEO and Knafel will be Penthera’s vice chairman. The software firm has developed a patented engine that moves HD video between Internet servers and digital devices including smartphones, tablets and IP-enabled set-top boxes. It’s also developing applications for cable companies. “Our transition to a new-media technology company, which is focused on next-generation consumer experiences, is the next logical step for us,” Willner says.
Cable Vet Michael Willner To Run New Media Software Firm
What's Hot on Deadline
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku Accuses 'True Lies' Stunt Coordinator Of Sexual Assault; Mother, Brother Support - Update
Latest TV News
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- ‘Girlfriends’ Phyllis Logan, Miranda Richardson Discuss Industry Ageism – Or Not – TCA
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- How To Reach Young Millennials? The Studios & TV Networks Can Find 47M Of Them On Snapchat – TCA
- Undaunted By Syndication Slump, NATPE Boosts International, Reality, Local TV
- Comedy Central Boss On Future Of ‘The Opposition With Jordan Klepper’ & ‘The President Show’