Hugh Grant has taken his first legal action against the News Corp.-owned News International over alleged phone hacking at the now-defunct News Of The World tabloid. Grant filed a complaint at the high court today, according to The Guardian, and has said any financial damages he receives will go toward helping fellow victims. Tomorrow is the deadline for civil damage claims at the court. Grant has been highly vocal in the phone-hacking scandal and appeared before Lord Justice Brian Leveson’s inquiry into UK media ethics in November last year. He also recently became a director of a new anti-press intrusion nonprofit set up by Hacked Off, The Guardian notes. Other high-profile names to have lodged claims include Cherie Blair, the wife of former Prime Minister Tony Blair, and soccer player Wayne Rooney. News International is expected to face about 100 new claims by the Friday deadline, The Guardian says.
Hugh Grant Files High Court Claim Over Phone Hacking: UK Guardian
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Boss David Abraham Says UK TV Biz Showing U.S. How It's Done
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Orders North Korea Political Thriller By Matt Charman
- Edinburgh: Judi Dench & More Join Benedict Cumberbatch In BBC Two's 'Richard III'
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Joins Acquisition Bandwagon With Stakes In 4 Indies
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC Unveils 'Doctor Who' Web Series; 'Coronation Street' & 'Emmerdale' Staying On Aussie TV Into 2020