The Earl of Grantham is doing one for the kids. Downton Abbey star Hugh Bonneville will play the title role in BBC One children’s novel adaptation Mr. Stink. The family comedy is based on the book by comic actor David Walliams, best known as half of the Little Britain duo. Walliams and Simon Nye are adapting. BBC In-house is producing. The story follows a lonely 12-year-old girl who befriends a local tramp, Mr. Stink. When she invites him to hide out in her yard, she must try to conceal him while coping with her complicated family. Harish Patel (David Schwimmer’s Run Fat Boy Run) and Walliams also star. Bonneville may be stiff-upper-lipped as Downton‘s Robert Crawley, but he’s no stranger to comedy. He recently starred in BBC Olympics mockumentary Twenty Twelve which also ran on BBC America and won the 2011 British Comedy Award for best sitcom. Shooting starts on Mr. Stink in October for broadcast later this year. Ab Fab‘s Jo Sargent is producing, the BBC’s Mark Freeland is exec producing and Declan Lowney directs.
Hugh Bonneville To Star In BBC One Family Comedy ‘Mr. Stink’
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
Jason Blum's Advice To Burgeoning Producers At Sundance: "Don’t Worry About Your Movie Getting A Theatrical Release"
SAG Awards Analysis: 'Three Billboards' Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC's 'This Is Us' Shakes Things Up On TV Side
'Jumanji' At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; 'Maze Runner: Death Cure' Debuts - International Box Office
PGA Awards: 'The Shape Of Water' Wins Outstanding Producer; 'Handmaid's Tale', 'Mrs. Maisel' Tops In TV - Full Winners List
White House Correspondent April Ryan Tells CNN News Organizations Have Police "On Speed Dial" For Death Threats
Latest International News
- ‘Jumanji’ At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; ‘Maze Runner: Death Cure’ Debuts – International…
- NFL Playoffs Will Air On Armed Forces Net Despite Government Shutdown
- Marc Munden To Helm ‘The Secret Garden’ For David Heyman & Studiocanal
- Donald Trump Mansplains Women’s March, Takes Credit For “Milestones”
- ‘Paddington 2’ Sets Rotten Tomatoes Record As Best-Reviewed Movie Ever
- ‘Valerian’ Helps Propel 2017 French Film Exports After Dismal 2016: Unifrance