Shirley MacLaine rolled up to Downton Abbey last night to trade barbs with Maggie Smith’s Dowager Countess in the show’s Season 3 UK premiere. ITV1 drew 8.64M viewers to the 90-minute opener. The hugely-anticipated return of the Crawley family had a 34.6% share. It was down about 200K viewers on last year’s Season 2 start, but its lead-in from The X Factor was smaller than in 2011. X Factor won the night, but with 9.33M viewers, its ratings were off 1.9M from last year’s final auditions show, according to Digital Spy. U.S. audiences will have to wait until January to revisit the happenings upstairs and down at Downton, so I won’t give away any spoilers. Trailers have been popping up, however. Below is one of the recent teasers of what’s coming up for Lord Grantham & Co.
'Downton Abbey' Season 3 Debut Pulls In More Than 8.6M UK Viewers
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
More From Tartaglione
- Aamir Khan's 'PK' Bests His 'Dhoom 3′ In Record U.S. Bow For Bollywood (Video)
- 'Hobbit' Rules; 'Bullets' Fire Up China; 'PK' Lands; 'Museum' Opens Doors: Intl BO
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: 'Force Majeure', 'Ida' In; 'White God', 'Mommy' Miss Cut
- Will Sony Hack Impact UK Channel 4's North Korea Spy Thriller 'Opposite Number'?
- Q&A: Adopt Films' Tim Grady On Getting Americans To See Foreign-Lingo Movies
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 3