Shirley MacLaine rolled up to Downton Abbey last night to trade barbs with Maggie Smith’s Dowager Countess in the show’s Season 3 UK premiere. ITV1 drew 8.64M viewers to the 90-minute opener. The hugely-anticipated return of the Crawley family had a 34.6% share. It was down about 200K viewers on last year’s Season 2 start, but its lead-in from The X Factor was smaller than in 2011. X Factor won the night, but with 9.33M viewers, its ratings were off 1.9M from last year’s final auditions show, according to Digital Spy. U.S. audiences will have to wait until January to revisit the happenings upstairs and down at Downton, so I won’t give away any spoilers. Trailers have been popping up, however. Below is one of the recent teasers of what’s coming up for Lord Grantham & Co.
'Downton Abbey' Season 3 Debut Pulls In More Than 8.6M UK Viewers
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Scottish Independence Vote: If The Ayes Have It, What Happens For Film & TV Biz?
- ITV Closes Curtain On 'Rising Star'; UK Version Will Not Go Forward
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Rome Film Festival Reveals First 5 English-Language Titles; Soda Pictures Bringing 'Phoenix' To UK; More
- 'Help! I Can't Cook' Serves Up Record Debut In Israel; Is Keshet In The Sweet Spot Again?
- China: Understanding & Respect Key To Massive Market, But Does Anybody Know Anything?
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC's Hugh Bonneville Starrer 'W1A' Back For Season 2; Denmark's TDC Group Paying $2.15B For Norwegian…