Maggie Smith was named best supporting actress in a drama at the Emmys on Sunday, but things weren’t quite so rosy back at Downton Abbey. The second episode of the show’s new third season in the UK was 1M viewers off last season’s equivalent episode. According to overnight figures, an average 8.14M watched Sunday night’s installment, giving the ITV1 show a 30.7% share. It handily beat the competition but also fell about 600K short of its premiere last Sunday that drew 8.64M viewers. Last week it had a softer-than-normal lead-in from The X Factor, and that show was also down this week with 8.86M viewers even though Simon Cowell stopped by for a guest appearance.
‘Downton Abbey’ Ratings Down On UK’s ITV
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Tartaglione
- Venice: Lido Digs Story Of Charlie Chaplin Graverobbers 'The Price Of Fame'
- World Film Community Joins Hands In Support Of Shuttered Beijing Festival
- Venice: 'Act Of Killing' Follow-Up 'The Look Of Silence' Makes Noise On The Lido (Video)
- Hot Trailer: Omar Sy As 'Samba' In 'Intouchables' Helmers' Latest
- Protagonist Makes Key Hires; Kickstarts U.S. Production/Acquisition Activities
- Global Showbiz Briefs: 'Beloved Sisters' Gets Germany's Nod For Oscar Race; BAFTA Sets David Fincher Retrospective; More