Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment announced today that the filmed adaptation of the young-adult adventure novel Divergent, which Neil Burger has been set to direct, will open wide in North America on March 21, 2014. So far, it has the release date all to itself (it’s sandwiched between Fox’s Me And My Shadow on March 14 and Paramount’s Noah on March 28). The book was written by 23-year-old Veronica Roth and has topped the New York Times Best Sellers list since it was published in May 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins Publishers. Divergent is set in a futuristic Chicago that’s divided into five ideological factions to stabilize society and uphold peace. Every citizen must choose a permanent faction at age 16 — either their own or another. The story focuses on Beatrice Prior, who is struggling to survive her initiation into the most aggressive and physically demanding of the factions. Evan Daugherty is penning the screenplay. Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher will produce under their Red Wagon Entertainment banner, along with Pouya Shahbazian.
'Divergent' Scheduled For March 21, 2014
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest Film News
- Protagonist Pictures Boards Directors’ Fortnight Title ‘The Rider’ — Cannes
- Paul Verhoeven Sets Next: ‘Blessed Virgin’ To Star ‘Elle’s Virginie Efira As Lesbian Nun
- ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ To World Premiere In Shanghai
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2017 – Day 5 – Milo Ventimiglia, Cobie Smulders, Justin Long, Martin Landau & More
- Jeff Goldblum Books Trip To ‘Jurassic World’ Sequel
- WGA Contract Talks Over For The Day, Will Resume Wednesday – Update