Gov. Jerry Brown today signed the measure which bars registered sex offenders from representing minors working in the entertainment industry. It also requires criminal background checks for managers, publicists, photographers and others with unsupervised access to young performers. The bill, AB1660, gained momentum last year after the arrest of a convicted child molester who had been working as a casting associate involving children in films. Authorities also determined Jason James Murphy had been employed on movies with children in their casts including J.J. Abrams’ Super 8. He was arrested on charges he violated state sex offender registry laws. A short time later, the Los Angeles Times reported that a manager representing young talent was arrested and subsequently convicted of felony child molestation. Until now, only agents and studio teachers have been subjected to fingerprinting and background checks.
California Governor Signs Law To Protect Child Actors
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
Jason Blum's Advice To Burgeoning Producers At Sundance: "Don’t Worry About Your Movie Getting A Theatrical Release"
SAG Awards Analysis: 'Three Billboards' Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC's 'This Is Us' Shakes Things Up On TV Side
'Jumanji' At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; 'Maze Runner: Death Cure' Debuts - International Box Office
PGA Awards: 'The Shape Of Water' Wins Outstanding Producer; 'Handmaid's Tale', 'Mrs. Maisel' Tops In TV - Full Winners List
White House Correspondent April Ryan Tells CNN News Organizations Have Police "On Speed Dial" For Death Threats
Latest Film News
- Andrea Riseborough And ‘Nancy’ Director Christina Choe On Finding Truth In Fiction – Sundance Studio
- SAG Awards Analysis: ‘Three Billboards’ Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ Shakes…
- SAG Awards Backstage: Allison Janney Calls #MeToo Movement “Watershed Moment” For Hollywood
- SAG Awards: ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ Wins For Film Ensemble – Complete Winners List
- Ashley Judd Seeks Gender Parity At WME & ‘Berlin Station’ – Sundance Film Festival
- Ethan Hawke Talks Sundance Memories, Directing ‘Blaze’ & Outlaw Country