The Federal Reserve’s announcement yesterday that it will try to bolster the economy with purchases of mortgage-backed securities contributed to a sense of giddiness among investors in media stocks. CBS, Charter Communications, Comcast, DirecTV, Discovery, News Corp, Time Warner, and Time Warner Cable hit 52-week highs on Friday. The Dow Jones U.S. Media Index, which is up 33% so far in 2012, reached its highest point in at least a decade. And Apple, still enjoying the euphoria around its newly announced iPhone 5, hit an all time high of $691.28. Among Big Media companies, gains were recorded by Sony (+4.4%), News Corp (+1.3%), Time Warner (+0.9%), CBS (+0.5%), and Comcast (+0.1%). The only decliners were Disney (-0.5%) which said yesterday that it would report a $50M write-down as well as softer than expected ad sales for the current quarter, and Viacom (-0.3%) which was downgraded to “equal weight” from “overweight” by Evercore Partners. Today’s biggest gainers in media include McClatchy (+7.6%), Pandora Media (7.3%), and Facebook (+6.2%).
Big Media Stocks End Week On A High Following The Fed's Stimulus Moves
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Latest Film News
- NBCU Intl Acquires ‘The Outpost’ For Syfy; IQiyi Advancing On IPO – Global Briefs
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- ‘The Trade’: Exclusive Look At Showtime’s Opioid Epidemic Docuseries Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl