“There’s nothing we can quantify about Colorado,” IMAX Filmed Entertainment President Greg Foster told the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications and Entertainment Conference. Nevertheless, he adds, “I can’t imagine that in someway it hasn’t” contributed to lower-than-expected Q3 ticket sales. He says it also might have affected the kinds of films that audiences attended: Ones that did surprisingly well, he says were “don’t-take-yourself-seriously movies” such as Universal’s Ted and Marvel’s The Avengers. Foster expects a big turnaround this holiday season. Sony/MGM’s James Bond film Skyfall, Lionsgate’s The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Part Two), and Warner Bros’ The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey are all “earmarked for success.” Although all are sequels, he says that generally speaking “more of the same doesn’t work. That I know for sure.” Foster’s comments came as Barrington Research’s James Goss lowered his earnings forecast for IMAX, citing the recent weakness at box offices. He projects the company will generate 20 cents in earnings per share for Q3, down from 28 cents. The Aurora tragedy and the Chinese government’s insistence that Warner Bros’ The Dark Knight Rises and Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man open there simultaneously “likely cut into total potential B.O. results,” Goss says.
Aurora Tragedy Probably Hurt Summer Box Office Sales, IMAX Exec Says
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Renews & Expands 'Southern Charm', Sets More 'Shahs Of Sunset' & 'Million Dollar Listing New York'
Latest Film News
- STX Entertainment Partners With Toronto Company The Young Astronauts For Digital Content
- ‘Hummingbird’ Spec About Female Black-Ops Assassin Lands At Fundamental Films; ‘Battlefield 1’ Duo To Helm
- ‘The Secret Life Of Pets’ Woofs It Past $500M At International Box Office
- ‘Inferno’ Getting Scorched At U.S. Box Office, But Overseas Hoping To Be Its Savior – Noon Update
- Sergei Bodrov To Direct ‘Samson And Delilah’ – AFM
- ‘Inferno’ Review: Tom Hanks’ Robert Langdon Back On The Run In Best Dan Brown Movie Yet