Not only do they finally have a jury, lawyers presented opening arguments today in AMC Networks’ $2.5B breech of contract suit against Dish Network. And lawyers representing AMC seemed to draw blood by “repeatedly highlighting Dish’s systematic, bad faith, year-long destruction of evidence during the critical stages of this dispute,” says Susquehanna Financial Group’s Thomas Claps, who’s tracking the proceedings. He says that this “will be impactful in determining the outcome of the case.” The trial will determine whether Dish had the right in 2008 to terminate its 15-year deal to air the VOOM Networks suite of HD channels. The defunct channels, formerly owned by Cablevision, were packaged with AMC when the cable company spun off the network operation this year. Dish’s contract with VOOM required backers to spend at least $100M a year on the channel. The big question is whether spending devoted to overhead and for overseas activities should count. AMC says it should; Dish says it shouldn’t — which would mean VOOM fell short of the $100M threshold. On Monday jurors likely will hear Cablevision founder Chuck Dolan’s side of the story.
AMC Networks Charges Dish Network With “Bad Faith” In Day 1 Of VOOM Trial
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Business News
- Santa Fe IATSE Boss Jon Hendry Resigns Amid Sex Harassment Scandal
- Michael Gershman Dies: The ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’, ‘Crossing Jordan’ Cinematographer Was 73
- Veteran Cirque Du Soleil Performer Dies After Fall During Tampa Show
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize
- The Roots Cancel SXSW Concert After Bomb Threat; Suspect Arrested – Update
- Ellen Barkin Says “Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam” After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement