EXCLUSIVE: Every administration needs someone to be one heartbeat away to take over the Oval Office in case something terrible happens. For the administration of White House Down, that someone is going to be Michael Murphy. The actor will play Vice-President Alvin Hammond in the political thriller. In the movie, the Veep tries to establish order and a chain of command as the attack on the Executive Mansion leads to reports that the President is unable to lead. Jamie Foxx plays the Commander-in-Chief in the Roland Emmerich-directed movie. White House Down, which got bumped up to now come out on June 28, 2013, also stars Channing Tatum as the Secret Service agent trying to thwart the mercenary attack. Maggie Gyllenhaal stars in the movie too as does Jason Clarke as the lead mercenary. White House Down isn’t Murphy’s first time playing a political role. He played a political operative in Robert Altman’s Nashville and presidential candidate Jack Tanner in the HBO series Tanner 88 and its 2004 Sundance sequel Tanner on Tanner. Murphy, who had a leading role in Woody Allen’s Manhattan, also played the Mayor of Gotham City in 1992’s Batman Returns and Angel’s father in 2006’s X-Men: The Last Stand. Murphy is repped by the Kohner Agency.
'White House Down' Adds Michael Murphy
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Deadline’s The Contenders At Capacity; Long Waiting List For Award Season Kickoff Event
- VidAngel Files For Chapter 11 After Losing Legal Fight With Hollywood Studios
- ‘I Love You, Daddy’ Trailer: Louis C.K. Dark Comedy About Worried Dad Whose Teen Daughter Dates…
- ‘Where’s The Money’ Red Band Trailer: King Bach’s Gentrified Frat Comedy Gets Crazy And R-rated
- ‘Only The Brave’: The Incredible Story Of Heroism And The Serendipity That Propelled The Film About The Granite…
- Channing Tatum Pulls ‘Forgive Me’ Film Project From The Weinstein Co.