The competition section of the Venice Film Festival just got a jolt. The festival has confirmed what Deadline reported last week, that added Paul Thomas Anderson’s sure to be controversial film The Master has joined the competition slate. The film is now set to make its debut there. As Deadline also reported, the film will play the Toronto International Film Festival as well. Philip Seymour Hoffman stars as a man who invents a belief system which soars in popularity, and it is regarded as a thinly veiled reference to L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams also star. The Weinstein Company releases the film in Oscar season on September 14. Venice also added Ermanno Olmi’s Come voglio che sia il mio futuro?, Pasquale Scimeca’s Convitto Falcone and the Alex Schmidt-directed horror film Du hast es versprochen to the fest lineup.
TOLDJA! Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Master' Added To Venice Competition Slate
What's Hot on Deadline
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest Film News
- ‘Dunkirk’ Flying To $51M+; ‘Girls Trip’ Driving To $29M+; ‘Valerian’ Still A Disaster…
- ‘The Gift’: Patrick Stewart, Katie Holmes & Giancarlo Esposito Wrapping In Montreal
- ‘Shot Caller’ Review: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Plays A Game Of Survival In Gripping…
- Blumhouse & Todd McFarlane Team For ‘Spawn’ Movie – Comic-Con
- From 'Fauda's Assaf Bernstein On 'Rose Madder’ To 'The Shining' Onstage: What's Behind Stephen King's…
- Nicole Ari Parker To Star In Indie Comedy ‘Headshop’