Marvel’s The Avengers will try to raise its gross tally by expanding to about 1,700 theaters on Labor Day weekend, its 18th week of domestic release. The worldwide gross is nearly $1.5 billion, already making it the third biggest grossing film ever. They’ll have to stay at that many screens for the rest of the year if Marvel hope to crack James Cameron territory: both Titanic and all-time box office champ Avatar did upwards of $2 billion. The film will continue to rake it in when the DVD is released. This franchise alone (a sequel is in the works) makes that $4 billion Disney purchase of Marvel look pretty smart.
'The Avengers' Goes Even Wider For Labor Day Weekend
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Motion Pictures Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Awards: 'Hacksaw Ridge,' 'Westworld' Among Winners - Full List
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
Latest Film News
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards
- WGA Awards: ‘Moonlight’ & ‘Arrival’ Win Top Film Prizes; FX’s ‘Atlanta’ & ‘The Americans’ Lead TV – Complete…
- Richard Schickel Dies: Time Magazine Film Critic Was 84