Marvel’s The Avengers will try to raise its gross tally by expanding to about 1,700 theaters on Labor Day weekend, its 18th week of domestic release. The worldwide gross is nearly $1.5 billion, already making it the third biggest grossing film ever. They’ll have to stay at that many screens for the rest of the year if Marvel hope to crack James Cameron territory: both Titanic and all-time box office champ Avatar did upwards of $2 billion. The film will continue to rake it in when the DVD is released. This franchise alone (a sequel is in the works) makes that $4 billion Disney purchase of Marvel look pretty smart.
'The Avengers' Goes Even Wider For Labor Day Weekend
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Latest Film News
- Blue Fox Hires Myriad Pictures’ Audrey Delaney As Marketing & Distribution SVP – Berlin
- José Padilha Lifts The Lid On ‘7 Days In Entebbe’ – Berlin
- ‘Black Panther’ Blasts Off With $169M Overseas; $371M WW Weekend – International Box Office
- ‘Black Panther’ Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred ‘Jurassic World’ & Possibly ‘Last Jedi…
- M.I.A & Ed Sheeran Films Drum Up Global Interest in Rock Docs – Berlin
- ‘Dunkirk’, ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Take Home Top Honors At MPSE Golden Reel Awards – Complete…