Marvel’s The Avengers will try to raise its gross tally by expanding to about 1,700 theaters on Labor Day weekend, its 18th week of domestic release. The worldwide gross is nearly $1.5 billion, already making it the third biggest grossing film ever. They’ll have to stay at that many screens for the rest of the year if Marvel hope to crack James Cameron territory: both Titanic and all-time box office champ Avatar did upwards of $2 billion. The film will continue to rake it in when the DVD is released. This franchise alone (a sequel is in the works) makes that $4 billion Disney purchase of Marvel look pretty smart.
'The Avengers' Goes Even Wider For Labor Day Weekend
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'