BREAKING: Terrence Malick’s To The Wonder debuts in Venice on Sunday, but a handful of actors who were initially part of the film won’t be on the big screen in the Sala Grande. I’ve confirmed that Rachel Weisz, Barry Pepper, Michael Sheen and Amanda Peet were all ultimately left on the cutting room floor. It’s an occupational hazard when you make a Malick movie that this might happen. A person with knowledge of the film tells me, “It’s just the way Terry works; it’s not a reflection on anything other than the story.” Malick is known for shooting reams and reams of footage and editing to fit his final vision. I understand there are four main characters in the film which more closely resembles Badlands than, say, Tree Of Life. Those parts are held by Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Olga Kurylenko and Javier Bardem. The actors who were excised had small roles in small facets of the main storyline. Actors apparently know the risk involved in working with Malick, but they still flock to him. In an interview with Italian daily La Stampa, Weisz recently said she thought her part had been cut but that she did the film to have the experience of working with Malick.
Venice: Terrence Malick Leaves Rachel Weisz, Barry Pepper, Michael Sheen And Amanda Peet On Cutting Room Floor
What's Hot on Deadline
Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Rev 'Mortal Engines'; Directing Debut For 'Hobbit' VFX Protege Christian Rivers
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
Latest Film News
- Aardman, Studiocanal Reunite Flock For ‘Shaun The Sheep Movie 2’ – AFM
- ‘American Pastoral’ Review: Ewan McGregor’s Directorial Debut Deserves A Better Reception
- Warner Bros Sues Innovative Artists For Oscar Screener Piracy Of ‘Creed’ + More
- EuropaCorp Boards English-Language Remake of Japanese Thriller 'Shield of Straw'
- ‘The Conjuring’s Hayes Brothers Writing Duo Sign With CAA
- ‘Madea Halloween’ Gets $28.5M Treat, ‘Jack Reacher,’ $22.8M, ‘Ouija’ Grabs $14M, ‘Joneses’ Tanks…