BREAKING: Terrence Malick’s To The Wonder debuts in Venice on Sunday, but a handful of actors who were initially part of the film won’t be on the big screen in the Sala Grande. I’ve confirmed that Rachel Weisz, Barry Pepper, Michael Sheen and Amanda Peet were all ultimately left on the cutting room floor. It’s an occupational hazard when you make a Malick movie that this might happen. A person with knowledge of the film tells me, “It’s just the way Terry works; it’s not a reflection on anything other than the story.” Malick is known for shooting reams and reams of footage and editing to fit his final vision. I understand there are four main characters in the film which more closely resembles Badlands than, say, Tree Of Life. Those parts are held by Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Olga Kurylenko and Javier Bardem. The actors who were excised had small roles in small facets of the main storyline. Actors apparently know the risk involved in working with Malick, but they still flock to him. In an interview with Italian daily La Stampa, Weisz recently said she thought her part had been cut but that she did the film to have the experience of working with Malick.
Venice: Terrence Malick Leaves Rachel Weisz, Barry Pepper, Michael Sheen And Amanda Peet On Cutting Room Floor
What's Hot on Deadline
Venice Film Festival Sets Lido Launch For Aronofsky, Clooney, Del Toro, Payne & More As Awards Buzz Begins - Full List
James Franco & Maggie Gyllenhaal 1970s Porn HBO Series 'The Deuce': It's Not Misogyny, It's Business - TCA
Netflix 'Triple Frontier' Eyes August Start; Mark Wahlberg, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund, Pedro Pascal In Talks
Trevor Noah Discusses Donald Trump Transgender Troop Firing With Two Army Veterans On 'The Daily Show'
Latest Film News
- It’s Official: Woody Allen’s ‘Wonder Wheel’ Will Close New York Film Festival
- ‘The Tiger Hunter’ Trailer & Release Date: Lena Khan Comedy From Shout! Factory – Update
- ‘Suburbicon’ Trailer: Matt Damon & The Mob In George Clooney’s Venice-Bound Noir
- NBCU’s Steve Burke Is “Skeptical” About OTT, Crows About Upfront Sales
- Venice Film Festival Sets Lido Launch For Aronofsky, Clooney, Del Toro, Payne & More As Awards Buzz Begins…
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Helps Comcast Top Q2 Earnings Expectations, Video Subs Lag