The News International British publishing subsidiary acknowledged today that the company is aware that London police are considering whether to file charges against its board over phone hacking at the shuttered News of the World tabloid, Bloomberg reported. Prosecutors are advising the Metropolitan Police Service on possible corporate offenses. News International said deputy assistant police commissioner Sue Akers, who is leading the probe, had referred to possible corporate offenses but also “that she agreed that the current senior management and corporate approach at News International has been to assist and come clean,” News International said in a statement. Some 60 people have been arrested so far including former News International CEO Rebekah Brooks and News of the World editor Andy Coulson, who later served as an adviser to U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron. Even if company officers could face criminal charges, prosecutors would have to prove that anyone charged was aware of wrongdoing.
News Corp Subsidiary May Face Charges In Phone Hacking Scandal
What's Hot on Deadline
Katniss Rules Wednesday On Track For $78M-$80M 5-Day; 'Good Dinosaur' Eyes $58M-$62M; 'Creed' Punching $39M-$42M
'Creed' Sets Tuesday Preview Record As Thanksgiving B.O. Heats Up, 'The Good Dinosaur' Isn't Far Behind
Latest International News
- ‘Luther’ Trailer: Idris Elba Returns To Track A New Serial Killer
- Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s ‘Cemetery Of Splendour’ Wins At Asia Pacific Awards
- History UK To Premiere Exclusive Documentary On Paris Attacks
- ‘Star Wars’ An Art House Movie? Some French Exhibs Think So, Stoking Indie Producers’ Ire
- Archery Pictures Rolls With Fiona Cummins’ Hot Book ‘Rattle’
- The Sony Hack One Year Later: Just Who Are The Guardians Of Peace?