Media investors ended the week on a cheery note after the market recorded its strongest rally since early May. The benchmark Standard & Poor’s 500 closed the day +1.9% following a better than expected jobs report for July as well as indications that the European Central Bank will take more aggressive steps to address the continent’s debt crisis. That contributed to a 2.1% increase in the Dow Jones U.S. Media Index — a 52-week high for the group which is up 25.5% over the period. Big Media stocks also hitting 52-week highs on Friday included CBS (+6.1% following a relatively strong Q2 earnings report last night), Time Warner (+1.8%), Comcast (+1.4%) and News Corp (+1.4%). Others in the group also did well including Sony (+3.6%), Viacom (+3%), and Disney (+1.6%). Media stocks with the biggest gains included Carmike (+9.8%), Entercom (+9.5%), Rovi (+8.9%), Cumulus (+8.1%), and LIN TV (+6.9%). The handful of companies losing ground included A.H. Belo (-1.6%), Cinedigm (-1.5%), Crown Media (-0.6%), and Outdoor Channel (-0.5%).
Media Stocks Join Wall Street Rally Over Hopeful Signs About Jobs And Europe
What's Hot on Deadline
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest Film News
- ‘Dunkirk’ Flying To $51M+; ‘Girls Trip’ Driving To $29M+; ‘Valerian’ Still A Disaster…
- ‘The Gift’: Patrick Stewart, Katie Holmes & Giancarlo Esposito Wrapping In Montreal
- ‘Shot Caller’ Review: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Plays A Game Of Survival In Gripping…
- Blumhouse & Todd McFarlane Team For ‘Spawn’ Movie – Comic-Con
- From 'Fauda's Assaf Bernstein On 'Rose Madder’ To 'The Shining' Onstage: What's Behind Stephen King's…
- Nicole Ari Parker To Star In Indie Comedy ‘Headshop’