Media investors ended the week on a cheery note after the market recorded its strongest rally since early May. The benchmark Standard & Poor’s 500 closed the day +1.9% following a better than expected jobs report for July as well as indications that the European Central Bank will take more aggressive steps to address the continent’s debt crisis. That contributed to a 2.1% increase in the Dow Jones U.S. Media Index — a 52-week high for the group which is up 25.5% over the period. Big Media stocks also hitting 52-week highs on Friday included CBS (+6.1% following a relatively strong Q2 earnings report last night), Time Warner (+1.8%), Comcast (+1.4%) and News Corp (+1.4%). Others in the group also did well including Sony (+3.6%), Viacom (+3%), and Disney (+1.6%). Media stocks with the biggest gains included Carmike (+9.8%), Entercom (+9.5%), Rovi (+8.9%), Cumulus (+8.1%), and LIN TV (+6.9%). The handful of companies losing ground included A.H. Belo (-1.6%), Cinedigm (-1.5%), Crown Media (-0.6%), and Outdoor Channel (-0.5%).
Media Stocks Join Wall Street Rally Over Hopeful Signs About Jobs And Europe
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
Latest Film News
- Oscar-Winning Producer Dan Jinks Says Let’s Snub The Snubs – Guest Column
- Magnolia Picks Up Gustav Möller’s ‘The Guilty’ After Sundance Bow
- Ari Aster, Writer-Director Of Sundance Midnight Pic ‘Hereditary’, Inks With WME
- Kevin Spacey Costs Netflix $39 Million In Write-Downs In Fourth Quarter
- ‘The Long Dumb Road’: Jason Mantzoukas Discovers Some Mindblowing Details About The ‘Fast & Furious’ Pics – Sundance…
- Ryan Reynolds’ Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is ‘Clue’ With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Reese…