Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy is now Amazon’s top-selling book series of all time, outselling the seven-book Harry Potter series, the online retailer announced today. That takes both physical and e-books into consideration. Hunger Games achieved its Amazon milestone with three books over four years compared with J.K. Rowling’s seven over the course of well beyond a decade. Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games movie version of Collins’ first book that opened March 23, 2012 took in $407.4 million domestically and another $277.1 million overseas. The second part, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is slated to open November 22, 2013. The final book Mockingjay will be filmed in two parts. The eight movies based on the seven Potter books grossed $7.7 billion worldwide (unadjusted for inflation or currency fluctuations). Another top-seller planned for movification is E.L. James’ Fifty Shades Of Grey which has three books out, all of which are currently at or near the top of Amazon’s sales lists and all three books occupy the top 3 slots of the New York Times combined print and e-book fiction and paperback trade fiction sales lists. Producers Mike De Luca and Dana are shepherding Fifty Shades for Focus Features/Universal Pictures.
'Hunger Games' Trilogy Outsells Harry Potter's 7 Books On Amazon
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
'The Good Fight' Premiere: Showrunners On New Streaming Setup, Deleted Trump Scene, Alicia & Eli Possibly Coming Back
Latest Film News
- Google & Microsoft To Demote Piracy Sites In UK Search Results
- Kim Dotcom Loses U.S. Extradition Appeal, But Claims Victory In Copyright Ruling
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards