Author E.L. James, who was inspired by Stephenie Meyer’s The Twilight Saga to write Fifty Shades Of Grey, has in turn given the equivalent of literary Viagra to the steamy fiction genre. There are a ton of knockoffs in the offing, and just the other day I saw in Costo James’ trio of books, and right next to it another book with a similar-looking cover, obviously from a publisher trying to ride her coattails. Until Universal and producers Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti name a screenwriter, get a script, a director and a cast to film the first movie, it seemed James would have to be content watching her books fly off the shelves, all over the world. Well, maybe not. James has curated an album that’s being released by EMI Classics, a group of 15 classical music tunes she feels should be heard by the panting masses who devour her sexy S&M saga of 27-year old billionaire entrepreneur Christian Grey and college student Anastasia Steele. The three books have sold 31 million copies worldwide, so that is a chance to move a lot of records with tunes that include Bach’s Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring and Tallis’ Spem in Alium. The latter, a 16th Century tune, shot to the top of the UK classical music charts just because of the mere mention in the books.
'Fifty Shades' Spawns Album
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Motion Pictures Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Awards: 'Hacksaw Ridge,' 'Westworld' Among Winners - Full List
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
Latest Film News
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards
- WGA Awards: ‘Moonlight’ & ‘Arrival’ Win Top Film Prizes; FX’s ‘Atlanta’ & ‘The Americans’ Lead TV – Complete…
- Richard Schickel Dies: Time Magazine Film Critic Was 84