Dish Network is already fighting the major broadcast TV networks in federal court over its ad-zapping DVR service, and now the company is facing an attack on another front — from the federal government on behalf of consumers. The Federal Trade Commission sued Dish today accusing the satellite TV broadcaster of of illegally calling millions of consumers who registered on the national Do Not Call list, The Hill blog reported. The FTC bars telemarketers from calling people who have who have explicitly said they do not want to be contacted anymore. The FTC contends that Dish maintained a list of people who had asked specifically not to be contacted but continued to call them pushing the network’s satellite TV packages. The complaint asks the court to fine Dish and to order the company to stop making the calls. Dish is already fighting another government suit filed originally in 2009 over claims that the company called consumers on the Do Not Call list. Dish spokesman John Hall said the company disputes the FTC claims and will “vigorously” defend itself. Dish rival DirecTV previously has also been in hot water over Do Not Call rules. DirecTV has paid almost $8 million over the last seven years to settle charges it violated the rules. Cable operator Comcast also paid $900,000 in a settlement over similar charges.
Feds Accuse Dish Of Do-Not-Call Violations
What's Hot on Deadline
'Hitman's Bodyguard' Flexes Muscle With $21M+ During The Lowest-Grossing Weekend Of 2017 To Date - Sunday AM
Universal $3B+ As 'Despicable' Franchise Takes Ani Crown; 'Wolf Warrior 2' Bests 'Avatar' Record - International Box Office