The Federal Communications Commission unanimously cleared the way for Verizon Wireless’ $3.9 billion purchase of airwaves from a group of big cable providers led by Comcast Corp. According to the New York Times, the FCC voted 5 to 0 to allow Verizon’s acquisition of unused spectrum belonging to Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks and Cox Communications. Final approval was considered a fait accompli when the FCC and U.S. Department of Justice blessed the deal last week. The FCC agency also gave the green light to transfer spectrum licenses from Leap Wireless and the transfer of wireless spectrum between Verizon and competitor T-Mobile. Verizon plans to use the spectrum for its higher-speed 4G network. The deals also allow for the cable companies to market Verizon services and cross-market their own services in Verizon stores. Consumer groups have criticized the spectrum transfer and related marketing deals as anticompetitive, and the Writers Guild West also condemned the Verizon-cable deal.
FCC OKs Verizon-Comcast Deal 5-0
What's Hot on Deadline
DGA Awards: Alejandro G. Iñárritu Wins Feature Film Award For 'The Revenant'; HBO Cleans Up With Wins For 'Game Of Thrones', 'Veep' & 'Bessie' - Full List
'Kung Fu Panda 3' Does Touchdown Dance With $21M As Super Bowl Weekend Slaughters 'Zombies', 'Choice': Sunday B.O.
DGA Awards: Inarritu's Big Win Gives Momentum To 'Revenant' But Keeps Best Picture Race In The Undecided Column
'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Reaches Unprecedented Height At Domestic B.O. With $900M, $2B Worldwide
'Revenant', 'Martian' Land New Global Milestones; 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops $100M In China - Intl Box Office
Latest TV News
- Barack Obama Wins Soft Bowl With CBS’ Gayle King In Super Bowl Interview
- ABC’s GOP Debate Wins Saturday, Draws 13.2 Million Viewers
- Ray Colcord Dies: Emmy-Nominated Television Composer Was 66
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Solid With Host Larry David
- Three Best GOP Debate Moments – From Ben Carson’s Kickoff Fumble To Candidate Contretemps
- Video – Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson Zoolander-ize Hillary, Bernie & Donald On ‘SNL’