The stock price is up more than 8% at midday after the New York Post said that the owner of the Redbox DVD rental kiosks is talking about selling itself to “an undisclosed private-equity firm.” Coinstar has a market value of about $1.7B. Some may consider it a bargain at a price that’s less than 9 times its expected earnings — relatively low compared to most media and technology companies. So, is the report accurate? CEO Paul Davis sidestepped the question today in an appearance at Canaccord Genuity’s Global Growth Conference. “We have no idea where [the story] came from,” he said. “We’re not in the business of commenting on other people’s stories. We’re head down focused on running the business and we’re happy with the progress we’re making.” He remains bullish about the prospects for DVDs and Blu-ray discs. “We looked at the music industry and saw how long it took before digital actually overtook physical and it was much much longer than people had anticipated.” He added that the company wants to play in both worlds, which is why it’s preparing to launch its Redbox Instant by Verizon streaming service later this year. In addition the company is “looking at other products that we think over time can repurpose the Redbox kiosks.”
Coinstar Chief Ducks Question About Possible Sale As Shares Spike
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver Offers Donald Trump His Emmy Award If Candidate Will Accept Election Results On November 8
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Jack Reacher' Cuffs $31M But 'Mechanic' Puts Wrench Into China Perf; 'Girl', 'Inferno', 'Peregrine' Advance - Intl Box Office
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest Film News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M But ‘Mechanic’ Puts Wrench Into China Perf; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ Advance – Intl…
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency