CNN pulled the plug today on Fareed Zakaria GPS because of plagiarism by the host in a TIME magazine column and a blog post for the network. “We have reviewed Fareed Zakaria’s Time column, for which he has apologized. He wrote a shorter blog post on CNN.com on the same issue which included similar unattributed excerpts. That blog post has been removed and CNN has suspended Fareed Zakaria while this matter is under review,” said CNN in a statement Friday afternoon. Broadcasts of Your Money With Ali Velshi will air in GPS’s 10 AM Sunday time slot and The Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer will air in the show’s 1 PM slot. Zakaria was suspended by TIME earlier in the day after it came to light that portions of a column that he wrote on gun control for the magazine’s August 20 issue closely resembled those from an April 23 issue of The New Yorker on guns by Jill Lepore. Zakaria admitted the plagiarism in a statement after TIME suspended him. “Media reporters have pointed out that paragraphs in my Time column this week bear close similarities to paragraphs in Jill Lepore’s essay in the April 23 issue of The New Yorker. They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to her, to my editors at Time, and to my readers,” he said. Fareed Zakaria GPS has been on CNN since June 1, 2008. Both TIME magazine and CNN are owned by Time Warner.
CNN Suspends Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $220M: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise - Update
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Skyrockets To $230M Overseas, $450M Global Bow - International Box Office
Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For 'Good Will Hunting'
Latest TV News
- Ex-Fox News Analyst Tamara Holder Blasts Rupert Murdoch As “Liar Or Delusional”, Says “Lives Destroyed”
- NFL Anthem Protests Week 15 – A Game Of Chicken Raises The League’s Stakes
- MSNBC Confirms 1999 Separation Payment To Female Staffer Following Chris Matthews’ Inappropriate Jokes
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Steady With Host Kevin Hart, Foo Fighters & Trump
- Kevin Hart Brings Holiday Cheer & Beleaguered Captain Shadow To ‘SNL’
- ‘SNL’ Weekend Update Shames Hollywood Gropers, Banishes Omarosa And Welcomes Sleazy Boat Guy