CNN pulled the plug today on Fareed Zakaria GPS because of plagiarism by the host in a TIME magazine column and a blog post for the network. “We have reviewed Fareed Zakaria’s Time column, for which he has apologized. He wrote a shorter blog post on CNN.com on the same issue which included similar unattributed excerpts. That blog post has been removed and CNN has suspended Fareed Zakaria while this matter is under review,” said CNN in a statement Friday afternoon. Broadcasts of Your Money With Ali Velshi will air in GPS’s 10 AM Sunday time slot and The Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer will air in the show’s 1 PM slot. Zakaria was suspended by TIME earlier in the day after it came to light that portions of a column that he wrote on gun control for the magazine’s August 20 issue closely resembled those from an April 23 issue of The New Yorker on guns by Jill Lepore. Zakaria admitted the plagiarism in a statement after TIME suspended him. “Media reporters have pointed out that paragraphs in my Time column this week bear close similarities to paragraphs in Jill Lepore’s essay in the April 23 issue of The New Yorker. They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to her, to my editors at Time, and to my readers,” he said. Fareed Zakaria GPS has been on CNN since June 1, 2008. Both TIME magazine and CNN are owned by Time Warner.
CNN Suspends Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
John Oliver: Donald Trump Tyrannizes TV News Week With "Bat-Sh*t Crazy" News Conference, Terrorism-In-Sweden Speech
Latest TV News
- Conan O’Brien Makes Guest Appearance On Mexican Telenovela ‘Mi Adorable Maldición’
- Brenda Buttner Dies: Fox News ‘Bulls And Bears’ Host Was 55
- Judd Apatow Roasts Donald Trump In Stand-up Routine: “I Feel Like I’ve Just Been Raped”
- Simon & Schuster Cancels Milo Yiannopoulos ‘Dangerous’ Book Deal After Conservative Blog Digs Up…
- SAG-AFTRA Disputes Trump's Claim That News Media Is "Enemy Of The American People"
- Donald Trump Recruits H.R. McMaster As National Security Adviser