CNN pulled the plug today on Fareed Zakaria GPS because of plagiarism by the host in a TIME magazine column and a blog post for the network. “We have reviewed Fareed Zakaria’s Time column, for which he has apologized. He wrote a shorter blog post on CNN.com on the same issue which included similar unattributed excerpts. That blog post has been removed and CNN has suspended Fareed Zakaria while this matter is under review,” said CNN in a statement Friday afternoon. Broadcasts of Your Money With Ali Velshi will air in GPS’s 10 AM Sunday time slot and The Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer will air in the show’s 1 PM slot. Zakaria was suspended by TIME earlier in the day after it came to light that portions of a column that he wrote on gun control for the magazine’s August 20 issue closely resembled those from an April 23 issue of The New Yorker on guns by Jill Lepore. Zakaria admitted the plagiarism in a statement after TIME suspended him. “Media reporters have pointed out that paragraphs in my Time column this week bear close similarities to paragraphs in Jill Lepore’s essay in the April 23 issue of The New Yorker. They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to her, to my editors at Time, and to my readers,” he said. Fareed Zakaria GPS has been on CNN since June 1, 2008. Both TIME magazine and CNN are owned by Time Warner.
CNN Suspends Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Donald Trump Son-In Law Jared Kushner Discussed Secret Communication Channel With Russia: Report
- Stephen Colbert Explains How Donald Trump Alpha-Dogged His Way Through NATO Summit
- ‘The Simpsons’: Donald Trump Gets A Thank-You From Richard Nixon’s Ghost
- Viacom’s Great Program Migration: Guide To Which Show Moved Where
- MSNBC President Phil Griffin Signs New Deal; Whither Goest Lawrence O’Donnell?