Alfred Hitchcock‘s 45th film has moved ahead of Orson Welles’ 1941 classic — at least according to the latest Sight & Sound poll conducted once a decade for the British Film Institute. Citizen Kane, which Hitchcock’s 1958 thriller surpassed by 34 votes out of 846 cast, is No. 2 on the list of 50 posted today (more will be posted in the weeks ahead). A decade ago Kane and Vertigo were separated by only 5 votes. Even so, Kane‘s total tally this time was three times as large as the number of votes it received last time so Welles wasn’t exactly snubbed. Out of more than 1,000 critics, programmers, academics, distributors, writers and other cinephiles contacted for the survey, Sight & Sound received 846 Top 10 lists that among them mention 2,045 different films. The new survey also enjoyed greater participation than its six predecessors. The remaining movies in order of the BFI’s Top 10 are Ozu Yasujiro’s Tokyo Story (1953), Jean Renoir’s La Regle Du Jeu (1939) and F.W. Murnau’s Sunrise (1927), Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), John Ford’s The Searchers (1956), Dziga Vertov’s Man With A Movie Camera (1939), Carl Dreyer’s The Passion Of Joan Of Arc (1927) and Federico Fellini’s 8½ (1963).
'Vertigo' Eclipses 'Citizen Kane' As Best Movie Of All Time In New BFI Survey
What's Hot on Deadline
Shania Twain Clarifies Comments On Supporting Trump, Says She's "Passionately Against Discrimination"
Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Says Relationship Between Cohen And Hannity "Far More Extensive" Than People Believe
'Smallville' Actress Allison Mack Arrested In Sex Trafficking Scheme, Faces 15 Years To Life If Convicted
Latest Film News
- Aviron Capital Backs Interactive Movie App Developer Kino Industries
- Pixar Animator Domee Shi Tackles Empty Nest Syndrome With ‘Incredibles 2’-Opening ‘Bao’…
- ‘The King’s Speech’ & ‘Wolf Hall’ Financier Hindsight Splashes On Sci-Fi Spec ‘Anima…
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2018 – Part 2: John Legend, Jeffrey Wright, Alia Shawkat, Jay Ellis & More
- Andrea Nevins Documents Moment Of Barbie’s Transformation With ‘Tiny Shoulders’ — Tribeca Studio
- ‘Rampage’ Rounds $216M Overseas; ‘A Quiet Place’ Cranks WW Volume To $207M – International…