A federal appeals court has affirmed a lower court injunction that barred early streaming service IVI from rebroadcasting network and TV station signals over the Internet. IVI, which launched in 2010, had argued that it was the same as a cable system and should be allowed to retransmit the signals of ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, the CW and other networks and TV station groups under compulsory licensing provisions of copyright law. The U.S. District Court found that IVI was not the same as a cable system and issued an injunction against IVI’s Internet retransmission of copyrighted programming. The 2nd Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals has upheld the lower court’s February 2011 injunction against IVI and CEO Todd Weaver. You can read that ruling here. It’s not clear whether the 2nd Circuit’s ruling today will have any bearing on Barry Diller’s startup streaming service Aereo and a rival, Alki David’s BarryDriller.com, which adopted a name that mimics Diller’s. Both of those have multiple lawsuits pending.
Appeals Court Upholds Ban On TV Streaming Service IVI
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
Latest TV News
- Liza Koshy To Star In New YouTube Red Comedy Series ‘Liza On Demand’
- ‘The Four’ Fox Reality Competition Sets Sean Combs, DJ Khaled, Meghan Trainor & Charlie Walk As Stars, Gets Premiere…
- White House Celebrates Donald Trump For Not Acknowledging Sexual Assault Claims
- ‘Suits’ Spinoff: Simon Kassianides Joins Potential Gina Torres-Toplined Offshoot
- Fox And Viacom Lead Media Stock Rally Sparked By Merger Speculation
- Kat Dennings To Star In Hulu Pilot ‘Dollface’; ‘I, Tonya’s Margot Robbie, Bryan Unkeless Producing